The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rudd-spin over substance > Comments

Rudd-spin over substance : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 31/7/2009

By any yard stick Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has failed to distinguish himself as a leader.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Good grief! this is one unhappy camper - sounds like he needs a hug.

He has made a few points - not very well mind you - and sadly he falls into the categroy of disgruntled ex whatevers living it up on his over generous super (tax payer funded more than likely ) with far too much time on his hands - he probably wrote this as it was raining and he couldnt play golf.

maybe I was wrong about his super - perhaps he got burnt in the GFC - but on that front he is patently wrong - we arent doing too badly in the general scheme of things - he cant really believe treasury, the reserve bank, the IMG, access economics and most every other bastard is wrong.

I dont have enough space to go on except to say - some one needs to expunge a few wqords from the common vernacular - and "spin" is one of them - over used wrongly applied and bores me to tears - it seems whenever some putz fails to understand something or worse still just doesnt like it they sling the word spin around as though it represents some canny and sophisticated assessment of things - just like that term "under the radar" get rid if them both - wetlands as well, get rid of the term wetlands too - swamp used to work - still does.
Posted by sneekeepete, Friday, 31 July 2009 3:27:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I, for one am very disappointed in Mr Rudd, the spin, the hand movements and the "guess what's". The green thing is losing me as well. Who gave him a mandate to press into action the carbon emission programme? I am bloody sure I didn't and I voted for him. It was not the main election issue. I am far from green so I might just have remembered if the carbon emission trading scheme was an important issue and if it might become a mandate. I am starting to believe we have been hoodwinked. Mr. Rudd could want to get himself a seat on the United Nations perhaps hmmmm?
Posted by RaeBee, Friday, 31 July 2009 8:07:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are people saying they are sick of the term spin and it has been intimated in return that those people "don't understand" what is being put forward. Let's get it right, spin is a nice word for BS, and we all know what BS is. It's spin.
Posted by RaeBee, Friday, 31 July 2009 8:16:01 PM
Politics is all about spin.

Asking a politician to not put spin on his rhetoric is sort of like asking a real estate agent not to 'bend the truth' when selling a property.

I thought that apologising to the Aboriginal people had alot of substance, even if he has had alot of trouble following up on his promises on health.

I also think that Rudd is serious on Health and education ...

No prime minister is perfect they are only human, and all are part of some political body that has its own internal problems as well.

We could easily nitpick and find problems with every single one of Australia's prime ministers.
Posted by bluealien, Friday, 31 July 2009 9:47:01 PM
I suppose we could nitpick over 'spin' forever, especially regarding the labour party in NSW. However, Mr. Rudd did say he was going to take over health if the states did not clean up their act. I remember that quite vividly and to me that was a mandate, but he hasn't so far, just a bit of tinkering around the edges seems to be planned so far. I am reserving my judgement on health presently. If Mr Rudd continues on with the green machine global warming/climate change, so called "mandate" then I won't be voting for the party federally next time. I am certainly not voting labour at the next state election. Whether or not Mr. Rudd likes it and whether or not it is fair, much the NSW government's epic failings will come home to roost with the federal government in the long run. If NSW continues to run down due to lack of fair funding from the federal government, it will be seen as lack of interest federally. Actually to some extent it is already been seen as that now.
Posted by RaeBee, Monday, 3 August 2009 7:44:32 PM
Politics has rapidly evolved into a presidential style of government leadership, but our structure of government not up to the task of delivering a true 'presidential' quality leader.

Our Prime Minister is always chosen for us by 'the party room' after a 'spill' or resignation, the winner having 'the numbers' for a challenge for the top job. A boring, procrastinating, time-waster is the usual outcome of this aussie variant of the Westminster system.

Our constitution is over 100 years old and badly in need of root and branch reform for a modern streamlined structure to govern Australia in the 21st Century. Australia's leader should be our head of state with a mandate directly from the people. This bestows far greater legitimacy and credability on the office holder than this democratic immitation we suffer under.

The functions of the states need to be re-allocated between the national and local governments for cost effective, decisive, coherant policy making in a united country.

Presidential candidates would have to prove their leadership to our satisfaction, in a series of public debates about their vision and implementation strategy. To retain power, a proven track record of solid achievements would be mandatory. As things stand, its trudge along with an unruly pack of donkeys, prime minister and premiers, all pulling in different directions most of the time.
Posted by Quick response, Tuesday, 4 August 2009 1:41:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy