The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A stitch in time ... > Comments

A stitch in time ... : Comments

By Valerie Yule, published 25/6/2009

The return of thrift: we need to change back to a society of menders, repairers and reusers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Fractelle
Sure, people in Aged Care Homes know about thrift. They are from the Great Depression, but do you forget about those others of us, who are much YOUNGER than that? For example, I am from that unrecognised group who is sandwiched between 'Baby Boomers' and 'Gen-Y-Bother'.
My parents were 'pre-BB', and themselves knew about thrift. They taught me. The Baby Boomers were living it up, a few years ahead of me, and when I came along, all the resources were being 'tightened up'. For example, I had to pay for my university education. No free education for me. Had to pay HECS. Worked full-time while studying part-time, so could pay it 'up front'. Now along come the 'Gen-Y-Bother', with the attitude that thrift is irrelevant and everyone else will do the hard work, so the 'Gen-Y's'can be the CEOs with no previous experience. We can see how that is working.
So - have you noticed - the gap between the rich and poor is widening? And where do you think the majority of those in the middle are going? Downwards. There is a larger number of those with much less, for quite a few years now. They are not in Aged Care Homes. They are the large (read:not minority), faceless, speechless group of people who can't afford to live in the cities, some live on the outskirts, some in the country, who attend events like garage sales. Take a look, Fractelle. Go to one of these events and look around. That group is growing, despite the efforts of the Govt to keep it minimised. OK, so that demographic is also aging; but then so is the population at large. But - we are not all in Aged Care Homes. Some are in their late 40s. Not THAT old, last time I looked.
Posted by LadyAussieAlone, Saturday, 27 June 2009 3:04:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LAA

You are assuming much from a remark about garnering the wisdom of elders in Aged Care homes, I too:

<<had to pay for my university education. No free education for me. Had to pay HECS.>>

Although I worked part-time and studied full-time. But didn't finish my degree due to injuries from car accident preventing me from working enough pay my bills - Austudy being so scant.

<< I am from that unrecognised group who is sandwiched between 'Baby Boomers' and 'Gen-Y-Bother'.>>

Well boo-hoo to you. I don't have a problem with that, it meant I went to gigs like Nick Cave instead of John Farnham.

Apart from making judgements about me, you are also presuming much about Gen Y's - Tertiary education still costs, HECS is even a larger burden.

Oh, I have kind of noticed how the gap between rich and poor is widening - seeing as I am now on a Disability Pension - so don't preach to me about thrift. I thought all the posters on this thread had much in common, guess I was wrong. Some are more righteous than others.

I have every confidence that Gen Y's and the following Gen X's will learn from the screw-ups by the baby boomers, they sure as hell can't be any worse.

Now that I have got that off my chest, back to the garden to finish weeding my veggie patch.

Tip for garden stakes: bamboo stems make cheap, available and sturdy alternative stakes for climbers.
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 27 June 2009 3:54:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle
I was not assuming your education was free, just saying mine was not. We all use bamboo stems for climbers. My large yard is half vegie patch, half relaxation. I also compost garden waste and have (nerdy!) worm farms, transforming 9 litres of vegie waste, each week; into garden food. Saves heaps on purchase of natural fertilisers.
The reason for my response: It looked as though you were commencing by dismissing 'thrift' knowledge as being limited to those at the end of their lives, and no longer able to look after themselves. This is often a response from 'Gen-Y'ers. It is dismissive. Perhaps you did not mean that. But it came across as though there were very few if any who knew about thrift, in the other catagories. I am speaking from personal experience, and discussion with those of my age, saying that those between the BBs and Gen-Y are a group with more personal experience of thrift. Yes, Boo-Hoo indeed! Because some of us do have it harder than others. It all depends when you were born, and what you decide to do with your life. But Aged Care residents are not the only ones who know about thrift. There are others of us who could teach it, but the most needy students refuse to learn.
Posted by LadyAussieAlone, Sunday, 28 June 2009 1:57:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy