The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Smile on the face of the tiger > Comments

Smile on the face of the tiger : Comments

By John Pilger, published 15/6/2009

In President Barack Obama's Cairo speech the killing of 1,300 people in Gaza merited just 17 words.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I believe that Obama's Cairo speech was a genuine effort toward peace. He showed it by mentioning the wrongs that the US had committed in Iran and that the US decision to invade Iraq was a war of choice and not necessity.

He devoted only 17 words to the Israeli incursion in Gaza. However, he wasn't engaged in an exercise in finger pointing. He could have mentioned the number of Jews expelled from the Arab countries. The number was about the same as the Arabs forced to leave Israel during their War of Independence. He didn't mention them at all. He didn't need to. It was enough to mention there were wrongs on all sides of the conflict including his own.

I think Pilger is so partisan that he cannot recognise a genuine effort for peace.
Posted by david f, Monday, 15 June 2009 9:58:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irrespective of the wrongs that occurred 40 years ago, or even 20 years ago, we live in the here and now. At the moment living conditions in Gaza are impossible. I thought calling Gaza a concentration camp is a bit rich, its not like Sobihor, may be more like Theriesenstadt or the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943 or perhaps the concentration camps in the Boer War.

Living conditions in Baghdad are also far worse today than they were before the American invasion of 2003 and the Iraqis are free to vote for the ruler the Americans chose for them, if they vote for who they like the Americans will question the voting process, just because America rigs elections doesn't mean every one else does.

As a [dodgy] Christian I was taught to forgive and I think that the Jews keeping alive the wrongs done to them in 1930s and 1940s are doing the same injustice to Palestinians. There is no point in me judging historic wrongs but I can and will hold people accountable for their current behaviours
Posted by billie, Monday, 15 June 2009 1:54:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I concur with David f. Obama's speech is in huge contrast to the failure of past US Presidents to truly engage with the Middle East. The best way to remove your enemies is to befriend them in an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding.

Obama's comments about the need to engage with the Middle East using a different dialogue, to depart from what has gone before would indicate a esire to bring respect, conciliation and cordiality to a longstanding troubled relationship.

Obama is making the first steps towards peace - what is there to disapprove?
Posted by pelican, Monday, 15 June 2009 8:03:50 PM
John, Your special pleading is very boring.

I don't like to see human misery anywhere, but the plight of the Palestinians is eminently fixable - by emigration. Their Arab kin own all the territory from Mauretania to Iraq, and a few of them have oil coming out of their ears. Simple really. There never was such a thing as a Palestinian nation, and no such country as Palestine, except as a geographic descriptor applied to the area by the Romans after they razed the Temple in 70 AD and scattered the Jews.

When did you last write something about genocide perpetrated by Arabs in Darfur, or the arrogance and racism of the Saudis toward foreigners working there, not least toward other Muslims? Or the contemptible continued peddling in Arab capitals of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion? Get a life, mate.

The Israelis want national security, not rockets lobbing into their towns.
Posted by Glorfindel, Monday, 15 June 2009 10:50:42 PM
Your sense of history appears to be tightly aligned with the Christian period, Glorfindel.

>>There never was such a thing as a Palestinian nation, and no such country as Palestine, except as a geographic descriptor applied to the area by the Romans after they razed the Temple in 70 AD and scattered the Jews.<<

You only go back 2000 years, presumably to fit in with your worldview.

If you were to look only one short millennium further back in time, you will find the land occupied by Canaanites. It was taken - by force - by a confederation of Hebrew tribes calling themselves the Israelites.

Calling upon history to support your cause won't cut it, I'm afraid. There have simply been too many levels of interference throughout the ages to make a case that will stick.

Greece, Rome, Persia, Turkey, Egypt, Britain, France, Russia, all have had a hand in creating the mess that presently exists. Which makes it highly improbable that there will ever be a solution based upon historical certainties.

It is also clear that making a claim to unique rights has been the single most prevalent factor in maintaining the hatreds and the killings.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 16 June 2009 10:31:55 AM
Pericles.

“Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.” - George Bernard Shaw (1856–1950). Ecrasia, in Back to Methuselah (1921).
Posted by Glorfindel, Tuesday, 16 June 2009 5:45:34 PM
Glorfindel.

"Violet Elizabeth fluttered her curling lashes. Her blue eyes swam with tears. Her lips trembled.

"You've made me cry," she said with a heartrending little catch in her voice. The tear-filled eyes and choking voice had melted many a heart in their time, but they didn't melt the Outlaws'.

"Well, get on with it," said William. "Don't take all day over it. Cry, if you're goin' to."

But Violet Elizabeth was too good a tactician to waste her weapons. This one proving useless, she discarded it without further ado. The tears vanished from the blue eyes as suddenly as they had appeared.

"All right," she said in her normal voice, "if you won't let me be a lady knight, I'll thcream an' I'll thcream an' I'll thcream, till I'm thick--an' I can," she ended proudly.

They looked at her, nonplussed. They knew that she could. She had often proved her prowess in that field."

Richmal Crompton (1890-1969) Just William (1922)
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 16 June 2009 6:49:47 PM
Thanks, Pericles, I loved the William books - when I was twelve, I got paid to promote the opening of a new sports store in Wagga, carrying a dead fish around on the end of a bit of string for a few days. I made enough to buy a William book.

But Mr Pilger seems to be making a hell of a lot more out of his dead fish. It must be so easy to sit in one's ergonomic chair and snipe at the world and its easy targets. The point, dear John, is to change it.

Joe Lane
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 17 June 2009 2:20:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy