The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can we reverse global climate change? Part I > Comments

Can we reverse global climate change? Part I : Comments

By James Hansen, published 1/6/2009

Cap-and-trade is a Temple of Doom for life on Earth, worshipped by lawmakers afraid to confront fossil special interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The traders are already setting up to trade permits.
They are salivating at duplicating the Russian oligarchs ripping off
of the European trading scheme.

I think the whole thing will be an unmitigated disaster.
Its like the pollies are on the back of a tiger and are not game to get off.
When peak oil hits here as we only have about 45% of our own supplies
the US & European companies will elbow the local buyers out of the
market and that will give us a very big reduction in CO2 output.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 1 June 2009 1:45:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why do we want to reverse Climate Change, it's a natural process, like volcanoes or tectonic plate movement. (a question, if we could, to go with your logic, reverse it, when should we stop reversing? Is there some preferred time period/temperature profile you'd like, does everyone agree with that, or is it just your pick that counts?)

What foolishness, in years to come our generation will probably be laughed at for our gullibility and arrogance.

(Q&A you still haven't answered my question about that website "http://bravenewclimate.com/2009/04/23/ian-plimer-heaven-and-earth/ .. I am not limited by word/post limits there."

If that's not your website, why would you say you are not limited by word/post limits? Come on, be honest with us, is it your website?)
Posted by rpg, Monday, 1 June 2009 1:45:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just as the tax system is full of rorts, so will any cap and trade system be.
If we don't want to have another govt dept as big and as compromised
as the tax dept already is we need to have a simple tax system.
We have a simple but effective GST lets do it with carbon, no one
then is able work the system thru courts or anywhere else, no need to
attend special rights.
The sales point should be the point of collection of such a tax.
forget cap and trade too hard to account for.
Posted by fluff4, Monday, 1 June 2009 2:11:40 PM
There is no chance whatever of any reduction in industrial emissions. As is now clear the various countries concerned - particulalry China and India - are never going to agree on any limits, let alone keep to them.
But what happens if all this extra CO2 does pour into the atmosphere and nothing whatever happens? CO2's effects saturate after a time - there is no argument over that point. The gas warms to a point and then no more. The climate models we hear so much about rely on a feedback mechanism, which is almost entirely assumed, for the additional warming.. Hanson will be very embarassed if the recent cooling trend continues..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Monday, 1 June 2009 2:12:58 PM
rpg
Like you perhaps, I'm a skeptic!
I would point out tho, a tax collected in Australia is less likely to bring on the big rortes. The world has chosen to accept that carbon is a pollutant!
What you and I want is a system that is flexible and can be adjusted
with new knowledge.
The tax then collected"when we find that it's all a hoax" even if partly true can be offset in some manner. Offsetting in a CT system
of course is too hard to even contemplate.
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Monday, 1 June 2009 2:34:20 PM
Well, Aime, whoever said that greens were a bunch of humourless gits obviously didn't know what they were talking about (Jeez, I even put a smiley in there to make obvious to even but the most dunderheaded dullard that I was ... JOKING)!

Far from one of those dreadfully vulgar "Americanisms", if instead of jumping to conclusions, you had tried a bit of research, I think you'd find that the OED records "top (off)" as a colloquialism for killing (esp. by execution) from 1718, and the Australian National Dictionary Centre records it as AIF slang from WWI.

Oh, and you were wrong about Clownfish, too: I've been using as a nom-de-net since long before "Finding Nemo", for many reasons which I'll keep to myself.

Perhaps you need to get over your little attack of the vapours and stop! using! so many! exclamation marks!
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 1 June 2009 3:09:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy