The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No chips, no fish: ocean acidification > Comments

No chips, no fish: ocean acidification : Comments

By Mike Pope, published 4/6/2009

The prognosis for marine animals isn't good. We can only avoid these disastrous outcomes by reducing emissions of CO2.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
“So now that it has been pointed out that some species survive higher acidity and temperature, and you only need one example to prove a theory wrong do you not.”

And which theory are you referring to Odo? Are you under the impression that the information you provide on acidity is a revelation? Only the ill-informed would be so presumptuous for during past extinctions, on which palaeontologists have hypothesised for decades, particularly on causal factors – namely volcanism coupled with emissions of CO2 and SO2, certain resilient species do survive higher acidic environments - including some burrowing vertebrates.

Perhaps you should perform a most basic research prior to putting your posts in the public arena? Furthermore, Mike Pope was referring to pteropod thecosomata. He made no reference to the predatory pisaster ochraceus which may be only one of many species to survive a changing climate of which Pope would be well aware. Perhaps in your wisdom you may advise if humans can eat pisaster ochraceus? Not that it matters much if the marine food source these starfish depend on for survival, are threatened or become extinct.

“The article is a doomsday "everything is going to die" piece, I have provided evidence that is not the case.”

*You* provided "evidence" Professor Odo? “Everything is going to die?” Who wrote that or where was the allusion or are your posts a deliberate package of deception and hyperbolic hubris, disposed to scurrilous misinformation?

“Then regardless of anything else, the OLO article is therefore proved to be false and be baseless.”

"Proved to be false?" Oh dear. Who was it who said: “You cannot give some people more information than they’re ready to receive?” So Odo, just keep faking it until you make it mate!
Posted by Protagoras, Saturday, 6 June 2009 2:25:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as a geologist, I'm aware that the fossil record shows that hard corals have been on the planet for tens of millions of years. Yet, during that time, there have been spikes in the atmosphere's CO2 levels to 1300 ppm or more. I'm therefore skeptical that the current reduction in ocean alkalinity caused by more CO2 being dissolved in marine waters is going to have the devastating impact that some people are claiming.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Tuesday, 9 June 2009 2:09:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh my, Protaganist, one spleen vented.

I'd respond and explain, but what would be the point?

More abuse and ranting, no thanks.
Posted by odo, Wednesday, 10 June 2009 4:37:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy