The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A view of schooling in Australia > Comments

A view of schooling in Australia : Comments

By Phil Cullen, published 14/4/2009

Since our country’s future is in our educational systems, we need to have schooling run by people who know what they are doing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I’ve got to agree with Blue Cross here who’s seems to have formed very similar opinions to my own.

It would be very dangerous not to have a comprehensive vetting process when selecting principals to spearhead curriculum reform.

I’ve worked with some fantastic principals and real shockers who would do a much better job flogging off the latest “get rich quick” scheme then the current crop of snake oil sellers.

The problem is that the salesmen and women work the system like experts to the detriment of both those colleagues who ask about the emperor’s lack of new clothes and the majority of students.

The critical mass of young, imaginative and intelligent teachers needed to implement change fizzled out years ago.

The culprits, in my mind, are careerist principals and their lazy obstructionist Heads of Departments. Smart young men and women leaving school have had little interest in becoming like them.
Posted by The Observer, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 10:29:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Lib's are in the Wilderness ?

Convince me !

Are Enlightened People philosophically in the Wilderness ?

I think not !

Shortly when the People are lining up to the soup Kitchens they will remember the Lib's fondly . In their minds Rudd will be below Latham , no Wilderness , in the Garbo Bin where all the Usurpers of Nations belong .
Posted by ShazBaz001, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 8:23:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't we just return to teaching kids how to think rather than what to think.

It'd be much cheaper and would probably result in Governments who are not intent on making us bathe in, cook with and drink our own excretment.
Posted by keith, Saturday, 18 April 2009 4:18:56 PM
Stormbay,

As a teacher I come up against your argument from time to time; the idea that teachers don't live in the real world. I resent this argument as I consider myself having two feet planted firmly on the ground, just like yours. Living in the real world, I certainly don't put down whole professions using generalisations.

I am off back to wonderland...
Posted by bfg, Sunday, 19 April 2009 11:58:33 PM
<“Stormbay,

As a teacher I come up against your argument from time to time; the idea that teachers don't live in the real world. I resent this argument as I consider myself having two feet planted firmly on the ground, just like yours. Living in the real world, I certainly don't put down whole professions using generalisations.

I am off back to wonderland...”>

You can resent it all you like, you may have your feet on the ground, but that doesn't make you experienced in life or the subjects you are teaching, just programmed. The results we see throughout the country.

Before you go jumping back on your bandwagon, let me point out a couple of things. Not only have I been a teacher and even though pretty well retired, I still work in clinical settings.

My observations come from more than 30 years of teaching, real work experience in many areas and treating people. You always get the best teaching results from those who have actual work experience in the subject matter and not just learnt in a class or seminar. How can you teach something you've never done out side a school room, it's impossible and I see the results all the time in my work. Depressed teachers, confused pupils and frustrated parents.
Posted by stormbay, Monday, 20 April 2009 9:04:33 AM
Stormy old boy - you have just highlighted the very argument that continually confuses me:
"you may have your feet on the ground, but that doesn't make you experienced in life"
I had to ring my friend John the accountant this morning after I read your post. I asked him what it was like living in the 'real' world. He replied that occasionally, if he bent his head just right, he could see daylight from his computer bay. How are schools not real life? They deal with many complex issues, consult with business etc.

Now I agree that in some fields work experience is very advantageous - but I think the issue is more complex than how you put it. When I was training to be a teacher I came across a couple of people who had worked in other fields before teaching. One of them was particularly arrogant and claimed that 'because of his life experience' he would make a far superior teacher. He failed a prac and had to repeat it. Now I am not painting everyone who starts teaching later with the same brush, I am simply pointing out that the grass might not always be greener.

Teaching is a demanding field, both intellectually and creatively. A deep knowledge of curriculum and behaviour management (something that you don't touch on) is very important. An excellent teacher has a sound understanding of the relationships in their discipline/disciplines (or the seven a primary school teacher needs to answer for) and can relate this to examples in the world.

So while I think your argument has merit in certain cases, it does not and pragmatically can not be the revolution you are looking for.
Posted by bfg, Monday, 20 April 2009 12:58:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy