The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The impossibility of Christianity > Comments

The impossibility of Christianity : Comments

By David Young, published 2/3/2009

Jesus could be extremely valuable to humanity with his teachings and philosophies, if he can be delivered from the clutches of Christianity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Eckadimmock >>Jesus said he was a gate for the sheep, - do you suppose he was claiming to be a piece of wood?<<

OMG Jesus is a gate, we are sheep – Wow his churches sure are fleecing us! I love deciphering parables…lol

So it begs the question again Eckadimmock & other literalists & non-literalists … which words do we actually believe?

Eckadimmock - Are the words Jesus spoke all “God’s word”? If not which ones do I believe and which ones do I not. I am crying in the wilderness for "honesty".

Matthew 7:15 says “beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”

Please point out the wolves?

Matthew 7:15 says “But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues.

Do I only believe women? I can’t, Paul is telling them to be quiet 1 Timothy 2:11-12

Perhaps we should have the ‘Allegorical Bible” and the “God’s Word Guarenteed” Bible! – not for us sinners but so the churches & preachers can tell the truth.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Is this God’s word? Can prostelytising Christians be honest and answer?

See, I can understand a belief in spirituality, but, if you Christians can’t trust your churches, teachers & preachers OMG!

Shadow Minister - I don’t see Christianiaty as a legal system either – more a way of dodging the legal system…lol Very effective too!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,25083343-3102,00.html

Christianity is a “Pyramid Selling Scheme”. Religions are the first Amway! Sad but True!
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 2 March 2009 2:34:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a bit of an old chestnut to say that, whether or not Jesus was some sort of god, he still had some quite good and worthy things to say. Maybe, in the sense that he repeated the odd compassionate or resonant truism. But he came out with some clangers as well. It is worth reading the Bertrand Russell essay "Why I am not a Christian" to be reminded of some of the more risible pronouncements he is supposed to have made - if indeed he even existed.
Posted by Miranda Suzanne, Monday, 2 March 2009 2:51:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Eckadimmock,

Does it concern typical Christians that Jesus event occurred in the first century against a background of one of several Jewish mendicant preachers in the time of Augustus; whilst, Christianity's doctrinal foundation occured between 235 CE and 381 CE, the Councils of Nicaea and Constantinople, respectively. That the Jesus event is likely to have coincided Jewish prophesy of a Messiah towards the end of the fourth Jewish millenium; whilist, Christianity came about because of the need for unity to build a Holy Roman Empire. For me, there is a disconnect between the Jewish Person and times of Jesus - and what was happened in the first century and, the religio-political Roman necessity of the fouth century.

Had Hadrian not expelled the Jewish from Pella barring them from the Holly Lands, there would have been no need to appoint a Latin as a Bishop, after fifteen Jewish bishops, perhaps Jewish Christianity would have died out by the time Constantine or at least been diminished and remote to the central path of the religious devolopments. What happpened was that the Jews needed to feign being Latin to travel to Holly Lands for Jewish worship.

There certainly has been and continues to be a Roman Catholic Church. Yet, I am less sure there has been a Jesus Catholic (Universal) Church, ever
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 2 March 2009 4:32:07 PM
Miranda took the words out of my mouth, or rather keyboard. I know it's considered polite for atheists to admit that the sayings of Jesus -- whether he existed or not -- contain some profound and moving truths, but frankly they come off a very poor second compared with the much more thoughtful and coherent sayings recorded for Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, not to mention Heraclitus, Democritus and Epicurus. In more modern times both Shakespeare and Bacon could have beaten him hands down on accumulated wit and wisdom, and Bertrand Russell himself managed to make a lot more sense.

Aside from its mystical trappings, did Jesus really say anything that an intelligent well-travelled Jew of that period couldn't have worked out for themselves?
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 2 March 2009 4:33:57 PM
I wasn't aware that the maleness of Jesus was disputed. Is this something the author got from his discussions with that English Bishop and David Irving?

If Jesus is just a philosopher, then we may as well follow Mohammed.

If he is the Son of God, then this is completely different and we need to deal with Him in a different way. Similarly, if Mary is the Mother of God, then we need to assess her in a similar way.

The real impossibility of Christianity is humanity - followers and non-believers alike - acting like Him, or at least like Mary - disciple extraordinaire!
Posted by Reality Check, Monday, 2 March 2009 5:31:13 PM
Nothing like a few old heresies to come out before Easter. David must have wanted to beat the annual spew fest from the National Broadcasters. Please try and come up with something original. Even a tiny bit of honesty reveals the adamic nature in all except the last Adam.

David writes 'If a woman claims to be a Christian, then she is accepting this hideous piece of legislation that brought the Immaculate Conception into being, and accepts by default that she is the cause of all the sin and suffering in this world. To me this is a ridiculous position to take'

Talk about twisting Scriptures. Men and women will be in hell because they have rejected God's free gift. Both are guilty and both have the opportunity to receive forgiveness.

You don't need to be a theologian to see this article is full of crap. Just read the Scriptures that foretold of the virgin birth and the death and resurrection of Christ. They are plain and simple.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 March 2009 8:06:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy