The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Interpreting Genesis > Comments

Interpreting Genesis : Comments

By David Young, published 16/2/2009

An alternative version of Adam and the Woman in the Garden of Eden.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Sells: “the difficulty of writing theology for the general public.”

For whom does the bell toll? – it tolls for thee.
Posted by colinsett, Wednesday, 18 February 2009 12:59:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
colinsett,

Sometimes it is refreshing is test what theologians say against broader human knowledge.

What Daviy alludes to with respect to consciousness could also beg the question of how would god exist without an observer? Without some separation of object and thought about the object god, could god contemplate itself?

My citation about the rewriting of Genesis around the time Jesus,
is evidenced in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Scrolls are but example. I mention the scrolls because history can explain relation in a way science cannot.

Exploring the reasons for the sudden growth in hunan awareness circa 6,000 BP is a valid enterprise, which would include studing stories, myths and legends. The Greek gods whom played humans like pieces on a chess board might be seen as an interim step towards the development of the more advanced personal divinity, permitting, of the three major monotheseist religions.

If institutionalised religion produces a drag on humans are ready accept autonomy & self-sufficiency from the supernatural, surely new ideas which explore alternatives should be expressed
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 18 February 2009 5:22:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Oliver
Thank you for your earlier reply to Sells. It came just in time to save me from being extremely judgmental. But Sells does make it difficult to overcome old habits.
The old problem of the eye seeing itself.
All sorts of possibilities including the one about God being a mass of unfocussed randomness until one day it thought 'Let there be light' and got a big surprise.
Maybe God needs the human race in its own image so it could be conscious of itself. If the Christians are to be believed it is capable of some of the less endearing characteristics of the human race so maybe we are in Gods image.
These things we will never know unless God suddenly appears to tell us.

What was the human race like before and during the change over period. Maybe the Gods of Greek Mythology, or the 'old ones' of Taoism. I am not satisfied by Jayne's 'The advent of Consciousness in the Bicameral Mind' but it does give a 'first guess' to work with.
I don't claim that we will find definitive answers by looking at that period but we could possible learn more about ourselves.

I still like Enoch and God in his spaceship as an answer. That was judgmental because Enoch does not say if God is a man or a woman.
It doesn't explain where God comes from but it would help settle our physical being. That is if the human race could accept that on a galactic level we have the status of Dolly the sheep.
But if God created the earth and the heavens in seven days and then created man we are still Dolly the sheep.
Posted by Daviy, Wednesday, 18 February 2009 6:27:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Did God create Adam or Eve first?

Easy answer.

The one with the nipples is the prototype. Nipples are not needed on a man.

In the Lab I believe there is something known as the Eve principle , that is-: that if you tamper with the male Y chromosone the foetus can still go on to be a perfectly fuctioning human being but if you damage the female X chromosone the foetus will be irreparibily damaged or handicaped in some way.

This also brings to mind the old question of; which comes first the chicken or the egg?

I believe the egg or the cell that grew into a human being would have had to come first .

Biologocally speaking the woman is the egg.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 18 February 2009 10:22:09 PM
Nipples? Every depiction of Adam & Eve I've ever seen has them with bellybuttons. Prototype that.
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 19 February 2009 8:46:10 AM
Adam and Eve were negroes from over a million years ago. To have created man in his own image, therefore God is a negro with ancient negroid features. Tracing the human genome was a strke of genius and adds tremendously to our understanding of these biblical canards.---Ellsworth
Posted by ELLSWORTH, Thursday, 19 February 2009 9:56:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy