The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ten commandments for fighting bigotry > Comments

The ten commandments for fighting bigotry : Comments

By Dvir Abramovich, published 5/2/2009

Most Australians want to end prejudice and discrimination. And we can make a difference, one act at a time.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
sharkfin,

A couple of points.

"Before multicultural societies we lived in tribes so that we could recognise strangers and retreat to our tribe for safety. This also has to be overcome or unlearned."

Yes, humans are tribalistic creatures. It is an inherent part of human nature. The only possible way it can be "overcome" or "unlearned" is to erase all distinguishable ethnic, racial, cultural, linguistic, and religious distinctions between different groups of people.

Is that what you're proposing?

If so, I'm confused. I thought multiculturalists believed that homogeneity was bad and that we should all celebrate "diversity"?

"Actually when I think of it, ethnic groups only ever want us to understand them they don't actually want to marry us. How should I interpret that? Reverse racism perhaps."

By "us", I assume you are referring to Australia's white, mainly British Isles-descended majority. If so, why do you use the term "reverse racism", a term that implies that white racism is the norm while non-white racism is somehow abnormal?
Posted by Efranke, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 4:51:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Efranke- No I wasn't proposing erasing all distinguishable ethnic,racial,cultural and linguistic and religious distinctions. I was responding to the article which stated that we learn racism and tribalism and I said I believe that it is actually inborn.

However given that I do not believe that these dangerous undercurrents can ever really be permanently overridden I don't propose erasing (which is the bloody solution of ethnic cleansing) I propose blending through marriage. True multicultural families. Anyone who objects to that idea is showing their true racial colours.
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 21 February 2009 12:48:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy