The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The impossibility of atheism > Comments

The impossibility of atheism : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/1/2009

The God that atheists do not believe in is not the God that Christians worship, but rather an idol of our own making or unmaking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 48
  11. 49
  12. 50
  13. All
I'm one, an atheist... I have a lot of problems with the generic atheist too, as in I think most of them are just resentful to a god they claim isn't there or religion and its politics or a society/family that forced them a god/religion onto them. I think most atheists are actually followers of the humanist belief.

In this sense the humanist does create a false *god* to fight against. What they are actually fighting is religion and its politics... Which has nothing to do with atheism as humanism is a social movement as is religion and politics.

I am an atheist and support most religions in society, as I think the human beast needs a belief system and a religion will mostly be what they choose. So I support the less harmful ones, and fight the negative ones. This is nothing to do with being an atheist, it is just my moral and social beliefs.
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 January 2009 1:18:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Daviy

I'm afraid you have just infringed Victoria's Racial and Religious Tolerance act with the words "Christianity is a lie".

You therefore hold all Christians up as idiots,and as those who believe a lie. That is to hold up to public contempt and scorn and is illegal.

You can say "I believe it is false or that you 'believe' it to be a lie" but you cannot say "It IS... a lie".

Please take care in what you say to remain on the right side of the law in future.

The atheist is usually just an agnostic. For an atheist's position to be viable..they would indeed have to have checked all that is in the Universe to establish 'There is no God'.

Hence.. "Atheism" is a faith position based on very limited factual information.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 29 January 2009 2:07:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oi you!

That is so true! so your an agnostic too, hey, Boaz?

For an theist's position to be viable..they would indeed have to have checked all that is in the universe to establish 'There is a God'.

Hence.. "Theism" is a faith position based on very limited factual information.

Eheh, just stirring man... you know I care for your right to be Christian... but hey that legislation is a tragedy isn't it... bloody PC Victoria...
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 January 2009 2:31:06 PM
Boaz_David
If anything can be demonstrated to be untrue then it can be called a lie without worrying about any act of parliament. Christianity is based on two premises that cannot be both true at the same time, and therefore can be shown to be a lie. I notice you come in on the legal side not the factual evidence.
I never said I am an Atheist. My position is that I am opposed to legal systems pretending to be religions. Are you the person who, in another discussion, put forward the proposition that Christians followed a higher law than the law of the land. It was just that they appear to follow Australian law because it is similar to Christian law? Before you set yourself up (with the other Christians) as being God's lawyer why not ask if God needs a lawyer.
Posted by Daviy, Thursday, 29 January 2009 2:35:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ_David,

When you claim a person has just infringed Victoria's Racial and Religious Tolerance act with the words "Christianity is a lie", are you acting as a legal expert?

If so, I hope you are not charging a professional fee or you could be up before the Law Institute for providing erroneous and misleading advice.

Please go and read the Act again (assuming you've ever read it in the first place that is). This inaccuracy following on your recent claim that a baker broke the EO Act for refusing to write offensive words on a cake demonstrate you have as little knowledge of what the law says as you do about kirpans, the Quaran and Middle Eastern politics.
Posted by Spikey, Thursday, 29 January 2009 2:53:04 PM
I have not read any of the recent books that attack belief in God because I sense that they say nothing new.

As an academic I have to say that this is, without doubt, my favourite line. Why engage with literature, or heck, why read it, when you can dismiss it out of hand through assumptions. This is exactly the type of dodgy logic that pervades the church and most organised religion.

I am a staunch atheist and always have been and yet, at my conservative religious high school I won the prize for religion when in year ten; the reason? I decided that if you are going to disagree with something you have to know what you're disagreeing with- so I read the bible cover to cover- cute little read in parts- delightful fiction.

See unlike this hypocrite I actually believe in measured reasoned thought and argument- not spurious claims based on an admitted lack of engagment. ABSOLUTE MORON.
Posted by impersonator, Thursday, 29 January 2009 2:56:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 48
  11. 49
  12. 50