The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Plugging in to the electric car revolution > Comments

Plugging in to the electric car revolution : Comments

By Jim Motavalli, published 24/12/2008

The potential for electric vehicles has been talked about for decades: now they could finally become feasible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Ozandy interesting that you should mention the 4 wheel vs 3 wheel vs 2 wheel alternatives of electrically powered transportation. If we identify the needs of the everyday home to work commuter he/she is taking the car because of 1) lack of public transport or 2) needs to drop off the kids to school on the way to work or 3) has got a work car which is part of his/hers pay package.

I would think that the majority of commuters would be well served by ebikes such as the Toshiba battery powered Schwinn Tail wind if there was separate bike lanes provided for bike commuters. The small compact battery pack of 1-2 kgs can be recharged in 30 minutes and would allow for 3-4 hours use with a range of 40 -60 km.

For the commuters which need to lug the kid around the 3 wheel solution ( a trike carrying 2 people) would be more useful.

And for the long distance commuters with serious transport needs and that are expecting to do some country driving we need to consider the 4 wheel ecar with all the problems associated with battery handling and charging, restriction in range, necessary infrastructure and complicated leasing plans for replacing batteries.

The ebikes and better bike paths should be implemented right away with only minor infrastructure investments. At least that would take petrol powered cars of our choked roads. See my recent article www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=8319 for more info.
Posted by sten, Tuesday, 6 January 2009 11:14:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fluff4;
> my question, what happened to the idea of stations , to change the
electolyte in car batteries?
Are you thinking of lead acid batteries ?
Forget it, they have already been left behind.

I have seen a converted Dihatsu hatchback which is a very useful
local runabout. I think the range is about 60 KM + and the owner is
very happy with it. Does all her shopping and kid chauffeuring with
no hassles.

Electric cars like this are highly practical and will only get better.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 6 January 2009 3:09:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy