The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Deadlines just don't seem to apply to Gunns > Comments

Deadlines just don't seem to apply to Gunns : Comments

By Peter Henning, published 14/11/2008

The federal government has granted the Gunns pulp mill an extension until January knowing that Tasmanian permits will end on November 30, 2008.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Ah Dickie, yet another victim of reading innaccurate stories written by journalists who are against the pulp mill and craft their articles as such (ring any bells Mr Henning?).
Here's the latest ASX release from Gunns: http://www.gunns.com.au/corporate/nov10.html
Now, you can't tell shareholders something that's inaccurate - that's a serious breach of ASX listing rules. So let's assume the media is wrong on this one, shall we? And I note the article you posted doesn't have it in direct quotes from Don Burke, and the claim was made by the paper, not him, but let's just chalk that another inaccuracy up on your part now shall we?
So 40% native timber at start up, moving to 0% within five years. Clear enough? Actually I'll concede you're half right - the mill WAS going to use 80% native timber at start-up, but the company's plantations are a bit further advanced now, so they can use more.
And as for JV partners, perhaps you should have read this one, not the lies in the Oz...
http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/economy-business-it-finance/gay-upbeat-about-pulp-mill/1348107.aspx
So there you go. That's the most up to date info...
Posted by hagar, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 3:39:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you hagar. Unfortunately you have provided a link which requires registration prior to accessing media details.

Since you have referred me to the pro-Gunns' Examiner newspaper, I would be most reluctant to give them my personal details. I believe I have valid reasons for doubting their manner of "ethical" reporting.

Cheers
Posted by dickie, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 6:38:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dickie - you're happy to quote from the anti-Gunns Australian, but not the local newspaper with therefore better contacts? Examiner story below.

Gay upbeat about pulp mill
BY JULIAN BURGESS
31/10/2008
GUNNS executive chairman John Gay will travel to Europe next week for serious discussions with financiers and banking syndicates to obtain funding for the company's proposed $2.2 billion pulp mill.
He told an annual meeting yesterday the global financial crisis had impacted on the project.
"The timing of attaining financial close for the project will largely depend on developments in the financial markets," he said.
"There will be some period of time before financial markets stabilise.
"When that window (reopens) we will go and get financial closure."
Mr Gay told the meeting that the project was at a ready status and construction would start once finance was obtained.
Company spokesman Matt Horan said later that work on the project had not stopped and rejected suggestions the global financial crisis had effectively put the project on hold.
"Mr Gay is going to Europe next week for some serious discussions on financing," Mr Horan said.
"He is off to discuss the finance with financiers, banking syndicates and joint venture partners."
About 90 people, including a contingent of anti-pulp mill shareholders, attended yesterday's meeting and were told the company was still committed to a pulp mill.
"What is clear to me, and has been highlighted in the present economic environment, is that the Bell Bay mill will be highly competitive in the global market," he said.
"This is due to the location and quality of the wood resource, the scale and design of the mill and the proximity of the mill to the Asian market."
He said the potential equity partners were all pulp industry operators.
"This company will continue the process to build the mill for as long as it takes," Mr Gay said.
The company is still waiting approval for 12 of the 16 Federal Government environmental modules and its sovereign risk agreement with the State Government expires next month.
Posted by hagar, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 8:14:26 AM
Thanks again hagar.

Could you please give me a link to your following claim. I've had no luck finding it. Who and where are the two JV's "knocking down the doors?"

"And as for "no hope of attracting a JV partner" perhaps the author should read the Fin Review - Gunns has got at least two knocking down the doors."

Cheers
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 11:24:18 AM
Dickei - you won't find it in the AFR online unless you;re prepared to pay through the nose - worst newspaper website in the world.
It was on the same day - named Stora Enso and Sodra as possible JV partners.
Posted by hagar, Friday, 21 November 2008 6:07:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy