The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Compared to ’87 this crisis is a dud > Comments

Compared to ’87 this crisis is a dud : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 28/10/2008

In spite of the current financial crisis, capitalism, with all its excesses and problems, will be with us for some time to come.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Kev here again,

How good are LABOR at economics? Let me count the ways.

For example, Man made global warming and climate change is caused by increasing population numbers: more water usage, salinated farmland & coal plant &tailpipe pollution, right? We increase the number of men(and women) through immigration & baby bonuses which means we increase climate change yet successfully con the Public into thinking the extra GST revenue will pay for mitigation budgets.

Here's the economically literate rub: We PRETEND to spend $billions on climate mitigation, stall with super-enviro-Garrett & media spin, invest the money in US markets and make squillions in profits on the coming market upswing to spend on Labor pork & advertising at the next election.

We can't lose. How economically literate is that! Climate change like all the negativities of immigration will just be externalised & absorbed into the Australian community. They just seem to SUCK it up: More gridlock, more social stress, more conflict, more people in trouble, more expenditure, more lawyers fees, more urban toxic air and doctors income. That's a growing economy and whammo more GST & income tax. Hellooo!

So we the Labor faithful are probably the most economic literate meisters of the Universe.

How could anyone dispute our economic credentials? Never again will we lose another election because we have all the POWER: all the money PLUS advice that GST could be pushed to 20% before our reelection chances are in any kind of jeopardy!
Posted by KAEP, Wednesday, 29 October 2008 5:11:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rw523252,

Have you been asleep? Listen to the radio. Watch TV news. Read papers. You must be the only person in Australia to be totally unaware of mortgage and managed funds who have frozen funds.

You are certainly “no financial or law expert”, and Rip van Winkle isn’t a patch on you for ignorance of what is happening daily in this country.

Kaep,

You are right about immigrants who have, at best, a net neutral effect, In most cases they cost money by way of increased housing prices, rental shortages and strains on infrastructure, water (which we have so little of) and other natural resources.

200,000 immigrants the ALP government wants this year! They are worse than the Coalition. The level of immigration to Australia is a bloody disgrace!

Immigration is one of the many factors actually highlighting the ALP’s economic illiteracy, even though you deny this to suit your particular hatred for nursing homes.

I agree with you concerning the ETS rip-off, the biggest con of our time
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 29 October 2008 9:01:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Mr R, I've been up south of Arnhem Bay for the past 2 weeks attending several medical and community emergencies. Do you know where that is? Probably not. Where I was there's NO outside communication NOTHING, ZIPPO, ZILCH, NAUGHT!! Get it?

So Mr dumbass R, don't judge!!

This freezing of funds can EASILY be challenged in court. In fact, it won't last long, and the govt. is already preparing measures to enable investors' money to be released. This is a storm in a teacup.
Posted by rw523252, Wednesday, 29 October 2008 10:52:33 AM
rw523252,

Oooooh. Touchy!

You said that you are no law or financial expert. Now you are talking about court challenges and what the government is preparing to do - along with an assurance that the matter is a storm in a teacup.

And, I'm a 'dumbass'. You can't even spell, but now your an expert. What's your next mission? Advisor to the Treasurer?

I hope the indigenous medicine man was able to alleviate your medical emergencies. You still seem a little stressed to me.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 29 October 2008 11:10:47 AM
KAEP and Mr. Right,

I agree with both of you about the mendacity of our politicians on climate change. One of the tables from this site shows that Australia's per capita residential energy consumption has increased only marginally since 1974:

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/ABS@.NSF/2f762f95845417aeca25706c00834efa/1892cf9fc515974bca2570ec0019ebaa!OpenDocument

This graph from the journal Nature shows that per capita energy consumption in the US and Western Europe is actually less than it was in the 1970s:

http://www.nature.com/climate/2008/0806/fig_tab/climate.2008.44_F1.html

Greenhouse gas emissions from India and China may well be a problem for the future, but 80% of the greenhouse gases now in the atmosphere have come from us in the developed world, not them. If we are reaching really dangerous levels, as some of the climate scientists think, then it will be entirely due to government sponsored population growth. We won't have to worry about blips in the economy then, but about wars over resources and civilisational collapse. I have as much confidence in our politicians on this and other issues as I would in a six year old at the wheel of a semitrailer.
Posted by Divergence, Wednesday, 29 October 2008 11:51:54 AM
Mr R:

"Touchy" yes, however no more touchy than you calling someone ignorant. My first post did not attack you, I simply and politely asked a question. You replied with your "ignorance" comment, without knowing anything whatsoever of my geographical circumstances. Try that "ignorance" stuff on the street son with me, and you'd be flat on your back in seconds. But don't worry son, you're safe behind your computer.

When someone's reduced to pointing out spelling mistakes, like you did, it shows a lack of mental capacity to understand the situation, and you couldn't even get your spelling mistake comment right. I'm American, it's spelled "ass" not "arse" for an American.

You're right, I'm no expert in law or economics, my degrees are in medicine, I'm an eye surgeon helping to carry on the work of one of the greatest Aussies of all time. You probably haven't even heard of him, sort of like how you had to go to the map to find out where Arnhem Bay is located. Keep trying though, I'm sure a high school education will be your's one day, and with a bit of luck you might even make it beyond Year 10. "Cheers", as they say in this country.
Posted by rw523252, Thursday, 30 October 2008 2:31:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy