The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A marathon event > Comments

A marathon event : Comments

By Joel Bevin, published 24/10/2008

The marathon was borne from the legend of Pheidippides, the Greek soldier who ran from the Battle of Marathon to Athens.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Amusing, obviously a touch brain-washed by Mr Salt.

There are more men running the marathon because the male body has a natural leaning to physical endurance. But as men and women become more homogenous through evolution there will be less difference -at least in Western societies where there is competition between the sexes rather than harmony.
Posted by Mat_78, Friday, 24 October 2008 10:38:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
evolution? genetic engineering will make men superfluous within 10 years. actually getting them to stop cluttering up the world will be more difficult, but as women edge out men in knowledge occupations such as the baby factories, they can design smaller, more biddable hand-bag porters.

'pheidipedes' was a tall story. the hellenes had horses and would have sent mounted messengers.
Posted by DEMOS, Friday, 24 October 2008 3:08:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mens physical dominance is already over, it's only a matter of testoterone which is easily manipulated. Androgyny here we come!
Posted by Proust, Friday, 24 October 2008 4:01:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've been running marathons for about thirty years. This is just something I've noticed. While a lot of women are running marathons now, I don't think there has been the same increase amongst the elite women.

I was recently watching some old tape of City to Surf. While not a marathon, it is reasonable example of the trends in distance running. The announcer said that in the first C2S only two percent of the field were women. Seems a bit extreme. Nevertheless, in the last C2S the ratio was about fifty/fifty.

However, I was in the preferred group just behind the elite. (The time required for elite women to gain a preferred or elite start is much less than the men and has been adjusted to reflect the difference.) The women are still very under represented amongst the elite. I estimate that in that lead group it was still two percent.

This is perhaps a reflection on societies attitude to women in sport. Only the very best can get assistance and understanding from partners, friends and so on. If a woman chooses to become involved and test her limits at state/national level, the numbers suggest that she may not have the same freedom to engage in such a demanding sport as men. Men take their freedom to engage in high-level sporting activities outside home and work for granted.

Mind you, women seem keen to nurture their battle-weary men. I wonder if the shoes were on the other feet amongst the masses whether the support would be forthcoming.
Posted by Verso, Friday, 24 October 2008 5:23:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy