The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palin appeals to American's anti-intellectualism > Comments

Palin appeals to American's anti-intellectualism : Comments

By Brendon O'Connor, published 17/10/2008

A limited knowledge of foreign affairs is no impediment to the White House, and in fact, can have a certain populist appeal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All
We did it first! She's Pauline Hanson II.

Anti-intellectualism misses the point it’s all about identity.
Palin is the new pinup for those who can't or won't think, not everyone is emotionally or intellectually able to take a more meaningful opinion of the greater good or wider world perspective. Yet they need to feel that their opinions and therefore they are valid…a member of some group.

All demographics want or need someone they can most identify with. It's all a matter of self worth and identity; the masses need symbols simple explanations, to see 'leaders' they can identify with, someone who reflect their (limited) views i.e. Shock Jocks, national party, The greens, the family first,Fred Nile even the liberals and labour. It has little to do with class except in the concept in the conformity to an identifiable group. On one in any group will ever admit that their views are wrong because it denies their validity.

We tend to reject views we don’t understand or don’t conform with our view of the ‘group norm’ (what ever that is). Likewise we tend to choose candidates who agree with us. We all reject to some degree alien concepts that dominate our lives particularly those that limit us and benefit an ‘outsider’ (one with whom we don’t agree ).
A hang over of self-protection instincts safety in groups and never more so when we all share the same views. In short it’s herd mentality, we all have one, some are more sophisticated than others..
Posted by examinator, Friday, 17 October 2008 9:21:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's a well balanced article. It's ironic, isn't it, that the American republic is founded on the highest ideals and influenced by the great Enlightenment thinkers - yet its politics are so debased by this spirit of anti-intellectualism.

On the flipside, the European disdain for American culture does tend to play into the hands of the incurious 'aw shucks, we're just small town people' element that Palin so cynically represents. America, of course, is a much more complex and nuanced society than that.

My own personal view (and I understand that many others would disagree) is that an Obama-Biden White House is what America needs right now. It is time for a more reflective American politics, one that engages with the world on more subtle levels and one that recognises that good, enobling ideas can be found elsewhere in the world.

I know that the vast bulk of people outside the United States like and respect Americans and wish them well. We just hope they can put behind them this period of ugly divisiveness and unresolvable culture war politics that stains the great traditions of their open, liberal, tolerant republic borne of reasons - the republic of Thomas Paine.
Posted by Mr Denmore, Friday, 17 October 2008 9:23:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I had to read this twice to determine that it wasn't satire. Of all the former UK colonies, how many could accurately be defined as a Superpower? One. How many lead the globe in medical, technical, industrial and educational invention and innovation? One. How many have bailed out Europe during armed conflict, twice? One. Intellectualism is a past time that produces nothing, and would not be possible for the leisure class if it weren't for the pioneering productivity of those "regular folks" the intellectuals love to look down upon. If it wasn't for the largesse of the US, and its anti-intellectual citizens, countries like Australia and all of those in Europe would still be living in the 18th century...if they hadn't died off from disease, poor sanitation and ignorance. Typical jealous lefty dreck. I've spent considerable time in Australia and New Zealand. I wouldn't allow my daughter to marry an Aussie male...they fall into two categories: Limp Wristed "intellectuals" and drunken chauvinists...both pretty much useless...
Posted by Churchill, Friday, 17 October 2008 9:51:20 AM
I'm torn about this. I'm a Yankee, a graduate in classics with a masters in Divinity from an Episcopal (Anglican) seminary. While I studied Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and have a little French, Italian, and Spanish, my fields of concentration were philosophical theology and liturgics. My career however has been more centered on pastoral psychology.

I have also run a small (by any standards, minute by Australian standards) flock of purebred sheep, worked in mountain search and rescue and as a law enforcement officer, and crewed in championship small boats.

What I have found is that mere intellectualism without being able to communicate in a language people understand and to show some practical ability pretty much disqualifies one for general respect and trust. But if you can shear a sheep, they'll forgive your being able to read Greek.

Palin is not stupid. Neither was Reagan. You don't get to be governor of Alaska or California if you're stupid. "Incurious" is a funny charge. It suggests a provincial standard of being able to afford a particular kind of life experience. I'd bet most of those making the charge are ignorant of most of their own country or of, say. dressing out game. So who's incurious?
Posted by Mad Dawg, Friday, 17 October 2008 9:55:39 AM
I am a graduate of Columbia University in New York City. When I was tested in my youth I had an IQ of 158 on the Stanford Binet scale, which at that time was as high as the standard test went.

I think that Governor Sarah Palin is by far the best of the four major party candidates for President and Vice President. What she lacks in academic achievements, she more than makes up in honesty, courage, and executive ability. I regret that Governor Palin will not be taking the oath of office as President next January 20th; Vice president is the best we can do this time.

As for pseudo-intelectual snobs like Professor O'Connor, I'm sure they would also have mocked George Washington. And I personally lived through eight years of their ridiculous abuse of Ronald Reagan.

I have high hopes that on November 4th the American people will reject Obama and Biden, the communism plus plagiarism ticket, in favor of the sound choice of John McCain and Sarah Palin.
Posted by Doug9732, Friday, 17 October 2008 9:58:16 AM
I quite like this reference which features a man who moved in the inner circles of the psychotic crazies who were/are the leaders of the "religious" right in the USA.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/10/13/former_mccain_supporter_accuses_the_senator
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 17 October 2008 10:07:00 AM
Churchill: "I had to read this twice to determine that it wasn't satire...I wouldn't allow my daughter to marry an Aussie male...they fall into two categories: Limp Wristed "intellectuals" and drunken chauvinists...both pretty much useless..."

Churchill, you're a great satirist (albeit an unconscious one).
Posted by Spikey, Friday, 17 October 2008 10:16:24 AM
The intellectual arrogance of this article is unbelievable. Under the 14th amendment to the US constitution all persons born or naturalised there are citizens, and are entitled to vote. I am surprised that the author is not suggesting intellectual tests for either voters or candidates or both. Their views are just as good as yours at the ballot box. As other posters suggested, Pauling Hanson filled the same role here, and had many of her ideas, particularly about illegal immigrants, adopted by the major parties. This process is called democracy. Obviously the author does not believe in it.
Posted by plerdsus, Friday, 17 October 2008 10:43:10 AM
I did not realise pandering to the "intellectual vote" was a prerequisite for the position of vice president of USA.

Strangely, I never realized “intellectuals” were the sole arbiters of knowledge in what is a practical world.

Lets face it, when the pipes back up, we phone for a plumber, not an expert in Aramaic text.

Because one is not an “intellectual” or because one does not make jokes in Sanskrit (which, when out to dine in company, are so obscure that only the teller laughs at them), does not mean ones “human” credentials and ability to lead and direct are lessened.

We have a couple of “intellectuals” here, a wannabe emeritus professor comes to mind ( that is he is not a EP but the closest thing without being it, so he says, and like I said, “wannabe”), we have another, who indulges in peeing on the common folk from the pinnacle of his ivory academic tower and is renown for the images of his sister and brother which he has posted to this forum.

They are equally as snide and "up themselves" as the author of this article is, with his outflow of rancid effluent, but that is the most bountiful product of the academic political left (including the intellectuasl ones).

So whilst the left rant and roll in their own filth,

I will revel in the joys of fornication and suggest they would be better deployed going "off" to do the same.

Anyone who is “too intellectual” and struggling to understand just what I mean, read plerdsus’s post, I agree with him entirely,
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 17 October 2008 10:56:02 AM
Hey Doug9732,
The past 8 years have given you

# higher unemployment
# smaller working class
# disappearing manufacturing base
# tax breaks for the wealthy
# electoral fraud
# millions fewer with health cover
# bourgening class of working poor
# Wall Street deregulation and all that now entails
# industry largely geared towards war
# an unhinged foreign policy w.r.t. Israel and Palestine
# massive worldwide disapproval of current administration (yeah I know you don't care. Wanna know why it's massive?)
# around 90% of the population believing the US is heading in the wrong direction

We know of America's great past Doug. You're resting on your laurels.

Too bloody right examinator. Why cogitate when you can vote republican?
Posted by bennie, Friday, 17 October 2008 11:06:56 AM
This reference re the Republican Noise Machine has much relevance to the tactics now being used by the right-wing psychotics in the current campaign.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Propaganda/Republican_Noise_Machine.html

It is by another man who found that he still had a heart and couldnt stand the nauseating STENCH of the people he was working with.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 17 October 2008 1:58:17 PM
The responses to this thread have, to me, illustrated this problem in microcosm. Once the word "intellectual" is waved, the bulls charge.

So lets remove it from the debate. Surely, what one requires from the leader of any country - be it first world or not - is statescraft. A thoroughgoing knowledge of how ones country works, how the world works, and how ones' country works in relation to the rest of the world.

No matter whether one views thier term in office positively or negatively, it is undoubtable that the world leaders who have had the most effect, Roosevelt, Churchill, Indira Ghandi, Thatcher, (and, at the risk of inflaming people, Lenin) et.al. have had a background in politics, statescraft, and international relations.

Whoever becomes President of America is taking charge of a superpower in crisis. Now, more than ever, America's position within the rest of the world is in the balance and objective, trained minds need to be brought to bear upon solutions whose outcomes go way beyond any one person's term of office.

I don't think its terribly productive to squabble about the I.Q. or formal education of the candidates. Surely the primary consideration should be which candidate can be envisaged as being best fitted to steer America - and the world - in a world of recession, climate concerns, increasing violence, increasing religious division, increasing division between rich and poor and changes in the balance of power?
Posted by Romany, Friday, 17 October 2008 1:59:14 PM
No doubt the majority of the traders, bankers and lawyers that have precipitated the current financial crisis have come from the hallowed halls of academia.
Just because you claim to think that doesn't necessarily make you smart!
Give the Tuttles a go.
Paul Snr would certainly take the airs and graces out of any graduate.
Posted by Little Brother, Friday, 17 October 2008 2:24:58 PM
I agree with Col Rouge in one respect:

"When the pipes back up, we phone for a plumber, not an expert in ... accountancy."

A touch of hypocracy from the most opinionated 'fornicator' (his word) on OLO?
Posted by Q&A, Friday, 17 October 2008 4:08:22 PM
I agree Romany, but sadly current politics is so caught up in spin that there is simply no place for "solutions whose outcomes go way beyond any one person's term of office." The opinion polls are more important than a coherent policy and appearance matters far more than performance. Just watch the pollies desperately staying "on message" while studiously avoiding giving any answer that goes outside what their market research has covered (Rudd is absolutely masterful at this). It would be funny if it wasn't so dispiriting.

Col Rouge says "We have a couple of “intellectuals” here, a wannabe emeritus professor,,, [and] another, who indulges in peeing on the common folk from the pinnacle of his ivory academic tower and is renown for the images of his sister and brother which he has posted to this forum." Oh come off it Col. You post off-topic flamebait like that and then get upset when someone flames you? I'd take your views more seriously if you weren't so obviously spoiling for a fight.
Posted by Johnj, Friday, 17 October 2008 6:12:24 PM
I am amazed at the "anti-intellectualism" of many of the comments expressed here. Two persons offered us "proof" of their genius status based on IQ, University background and/or languages studied. Somehow, in my opinion, their brilliance was not shown by their comments. Romany, bennie, and the information found at the website cited by Ho Hum, all hit the target for me.
Posted by Joe in the U.S., Saturday, 18 October 2008 6:08:20 AM
What some posters seem to forget is there is a difference between someone who is arrogant, condescending etc and someone who is intellectual.

Anyone who has had anything to do with Mensa or savants knows that I Q has little to do day to day smarts. Both can be real world dumb. Many geniuses have had shall we say strange traits. I think it was Thomas Edison who quoined “genius is 99% perspiration 1% inspiration.”

I have often railed against (generalized) labels when referring to specific people as it is always found dubious on closer examination.
I have to those who are unable (for a multitude of reasons) and those who refuse to reason (again for a number of reasons; often emotional, religious dogma, perceived self interest or simply fear of the unknown (different)) not from any sense of superiority but merely as acknowledgement of reality.

Intellectual to me is a combination of unemotional observation, knowledge, analytical and logic skills … Again IQ and education are not essential.
I have seen “primitive” natives in PNG display more wisdom and common sense at times than some PhDs.

Some PhD recipients pontificate on subjects well outside their real area/topic of their PhD thesis and expect special reverence on all topics regardless of their specialized (unrelated) learning.

Likewise I abhor those who either use irrelevant titles ‘GM’, president, (of some organization) or politician as automatically bestowing special superior knowledge/judgement as though wisdom etc is gained when their buttocks come in contact with the executive leather. Ms Palin is just such a case.

It should be noted though neither is an ill informed nor dogma influenced opinion a guarantee of correctness. There are some who resort to unnecessary ad hominem comments to those who challenge their opinions. Especially when those opinions are based on fallacious details or flawed emotional reasoning.
Ani intellectualism as a concept is flawed often misinterpreted, misused and so vague as to be investigatively (if there's such a word) worthless.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 18 October 2008 7:54:23 PM
Examinator, Romany, you make good points. Regrettably, as evidenced here, a great deal of commentary is based more on defensiveness than any real analysis.

Spikey, well said RE Churchill's comment, it's a prime example.
Churchill reacts against what's seen as a simplistic, sweeping attack on the small mindedness of some Americans. In response, he makes a simplistic, sweeping attack on Australians.

Way to go there Chief. How's about taking a moment to calm down and think for a minute huh?

Romany, Examinator, good points on the word 'intellectual.' Col, I think you've provided a more nuanced version of Churchill's kneejerk reaction. For some reason the word intellectual seems to be like a red rag to a bull for you, but it needn't be a loaded term. As Examinator points out, intellectualism isn't a cut and dry thing.

Regardless of how smart you are, there will always be certain pursuits that can people look like an idiot, be it messing about with the controls on a DVD player, or perhaps Churchill's contribution to this debate (sorry Churchill, but really, the hypocrisy there really is worth a giggle, unless it was intentional satire, in which case I dip my hat to you).

Palin's performance in the media interviews as well as the VP debate was enough of a indicator as to how she handles such matters as well as pressure. In both instances, it was a fail. During the debate, she could only resort to cliches, and hell, that was an improvement on her performance in the media interviews. I suppose you can make similar arguments on Biden, but I'd argue given McCain's health and Palin's inexperience it's more significant.

They're VP's though. McCain isn't. McCain's clearly been floundering somewhat, and the fact of the matter is that Obama has shown discipline. I suppose one can resort to the 'Liberal media' conspiracy though I think that's crap, because clearly the media blowtorch has been on for a long time. Seems obvious that Hillary was a far more competent adversary than McCain and Obama was able to face that one down.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Saturday, 18 October 2008 8:19:08 PM
Brendan O’connor seems to take the view that it was university educated intellectuals like him, that built America and Europe and kept them free, and will provide them with freedom and security in the future. OH! I FEEL SO PROTECTED.

In fact, it is a lot of the namby, pamby, effiminate, intellectual left wing types with their appeasement and cowtowing to every other culture and country but their own; who champion multiculturalism, who got America and Britain into this mess in the first place. It was the multiculturalism and political correctness that allowed America (and later Britain) to be attacked from within and so precipitated the Iraq War.
Give me men like Russell Crowe’s GLADIATOR or William Wallace(BRAVEHEART)any DAY
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 19 October 2008 1:07:12 AM
I see. So Sharkfin jumps in with a vote for warlords. I didn't actually notice any analysis there.

I'm sure William Wallace would handle the economic crises just fine. Heck, all you need is a decent 5'o clock shadow, a manly voice and a decent battleaxe.

Meanwhile, back in the real world where black and white have been introduced to grey and people realise that the term intellectual doesn't have to signify left-wing academics, the train has left the station.
Passengers, please leave your ranting polemics against left-or right wing views at the door, or I'm afraid I'll have to ask security to class you as a ranting partisan nut and eject you from the car.

Have a nice day.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Sunday, 19 October 2008 6:42:09 PM
Sharkfin
>> "the namby, pamby[?] effiminate [?!!], intellectual left wing types with their appeasement and cowtowing to every other culture and country but their own; [?] who champion multiculturalism [?], who got America and Britain into this mess in the first place.[?]"<<

I don't know if you noticed this but George Bush, Cheyney,Rumsfell, Perle aren't any of the above more like manipulative, immoral,self agrandizing, beligerant, Xenophobic rightwing nutters like the real William Wallace.

>>" It was the multiculturalism [USA?] and political correctness [how?] that allowed America (and later Britain) to be attacked from within and so precipitated the Iraq War"<<.

I think you'll find the US involvement/manipulation in the middle east and support for oppressive regimes in the name of profit self interest might have had more to do with it than PC or Multiculturism.

>>"Give me men like Russell Crowe’s GLADIATOR or William Wallace(BRAVEHEART)."
The real William Wallace was in reality an internecine bully/thug was caught by the Romans after 2 years, dismembered and his body parts were sent to different parts of the the the country. His achievement... nothing! The Vikings (they were simply meaner, nastier and more bloodthirsty)later did over his part of Scotland.

I would recommend you read a bit more but wait...that might turn you into a (see your quote).

I'm stunned to learn that 'Weary" Dunlop, Nelson Mandella, and their ilk were (see your quote).

Next time you're sick remember it was one of these (boo hiss) intellectuals who discovered/developed the cure. In fact the same goes for just about everything from canned food to shelter were developed by these namby, pampy intellectuals ( but they weren't exclusively left wing though).
Who needs fact when you have opinions?
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 19 October 2008 7:27:47 PM
Turn Right Turn Left-
“The term intellectual doesn’t have to signify left wing academics”

I agree wholeheartedly, a lot of the supposedly educated intellectuals on the right side of politics weren’t smart enough to make sure the banks were properly regulated either. William Wallace couldn’t have done any worse than some of them.

I believe the only reason Australian banks had some regulation was because the politicians got a fright when Christopher Skase bankrupted Victoria; but it still didn’t make them smart enough to realise that the banks could bring down the whole economy and should never have been privatised in the first place. I remember sitting at the family dinner table and saying exactly that to my family when it came over the news that they were going to privatise the banks. It should be written into the constitution and be understood in the world community that the banks should never be left unregulated because in fifty years times when they forget all about this it will happen again.

You asked for analysis of this article -:It proposes the idea that Sara Palin appeals to anti-intellectuals, this therefore suggests that anyone who votes for Sara Palin is non intellectual (or not very smart) because she is a real down home American loyalist. I disagree. I think history will prove that the loyalists were right and not as lacking in intelligence and foresight as some who think only they are capable of intellectualism think. I am responding only to the thrust of what this article says about Sara Palin, and her down home American loyalty I really havent heard that much about her.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 19 October 2008 10:02:37 PM
I think there is a risk that the Republicans could get in simply because the carpet-advertising by Obama could give voters a stomach-ache from surfeit.

It is time that the cost of US - and some other -elections was cut down to economically bearable levels.
Posted by ozideas, Monday, 20 October 2008 12:33:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not the anti-intellectualism that bothers me, it's the extreme, fundy, right wing,lunatic religious zealotry that makes her appear stupid and not to be using her intellect. Actually, it's more of an anti reason and rational thinking than intellectual. Palin probably has brains, it's just her thinking and judgement is clouded by faith.
Posted by human interest, Monday, 20 October 2008 1:51:39 PM
John Cleese discusses Palin, no not Michael:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyNk8J1c8g&eurl
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 20 October 2008 3:03:57 PM
Human interest,

Palin's stance on abortion rights prompted one women's activist to describe her as a post-feminist. She kept her bra but burned her brain.
Posted by bennie, Monday, 20 October 2008 3:47:56 PM
Churchill - "wouldn't allow my daughter.." Under 18 is she or are you as arrogant/ignorant as the rest of your comments indicate?
Doug9372 - "IQ of 158 = sound choice of McC & Palin"? Interesting how intelligence does not always correlate with rationality.
Plerdsus - 14th amendment may allow immigrants to vote but NOT become Prez. Unlike Arnie.
Sharkfin - that's "KOWtowing" as in banging one's forehead on the floor in obeisance, sorta like born-to-rule types expect from the lower orders, aka workers.
Posted by amphibious, Monday, 20 October 2008 6:55:34 PM
Examinator- “Next time you are sick remember it was one of these intellectuals who discovered the cure”

Yes, they did do marvellous things to aid humanity, and I thought of that when writing the article and that’s why I changed what I wrote from saying ALL left wing intellectuals to “ a LOT of the left wing intellectuals, because it is their political idealism that I am questioning here, to go down the road of discussing their wonderful scientific achievements was another issue. I did think about mentioning it though so as to balance the equation in fairness, but sometimes I choose to omit things because I am focused on a different aspect and trying to limit the number of words, and because I do that it makes it seem as though I am being more unfair than what I am thinking.

A big thank you intellectuals for all your wonderful inventions and achievements but I disagree strongly with your soft-hearted idealist world views and I think they are a recipe for disaster for the Western world.

“the U.S. involvement/manipulation in the middle east”

The U.S undoubtedly has played manipulative games in the middle east, just as the wealthy Arabs especially the Wealthy oil Shieks have played manipulative games with the west for their share of the almighty dollar. Just as the Arabs and muslims play secret territorial games with Europe and the West by flooding their countries with immigration. Just as the Arabs plotted with Hitler to help in his quest to asassinate the jews. That is why the Jewish refugees were allowed to flood into Israel after world war 2 when they had no homeland. The British who occupied the middle east after the war allowed it as punishmnt for the Arabs collaboration with Hitler.

America doesnt hold the copywrite on maniputlaiton , it is the nature of the human beast world wide.
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 20 October 2008 10:40:30 PM
Human Interest - "it's not the anti-intellectualism that bothers me it's the extreme fundy, right wing lunatic religious zealotry that makes Sara Palin appear stupid,"

Whatever happened to secular western government; the laws governing this are too weak and need to be extended to anyone with extreme realous beliefs and not just those who are ordained. I said above I agreed with Sara Palin's down home American loyalty but I knew nothing of her religious fundamentalism. George Bush is another one who's religious views should disallow him from being president.
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 20 October 2008 11:10:35 PM
"...I thought of that when I wrote the article...". Wait. "Sharkfin" is Brendon O'Connor?...Wot the??
Posted by Romany, Monday, 20 October 2008 11:12:27 PM
Palin is in the challenge for Vice President,by demand not by being
popular.She really did not ask for this.This is a good ride for her
and something to remember for her life time achievements.She will have no real living concerns in the future fore ahe will always be a
popular woman,regardless of what other people think.She is doing no
thing other than what anyone else would do.Take the Ball and run with
it.
Posted by jobe, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 9:23:22 PM
When invited to join the ticket she accepted "in a heartbeat". This self-described hocky-mum, summoned from obscurity in a backwater town in a remote state had no second thoughts, no doubts, just full of self-confidence she could lead the most powerful nation on the planet through a quagmire of foreign policy stuff-ups and domestic scandals, re-align the executive with the constitution and rule of law, overcome deep-seated angst with the economy, earning respect among the international community...all this seemed do-able. No matter she had all the experience of the mayor of an outback Australian town.

She'd learn on the job, by jove!

Palin becomes more of a caricature by the day. Doing what anyone else would do? I don't think so.
Posted by bennie, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 9:43:27 AM
"...no doubts, just full of self-confidence she could lead the most powerful nation on the planet through a quagmire of foreign policy stuff-ups..."

Yes, well she's evangelical, with god on their side, they can do no wrong! Same for 'Mr. 2% of the vote' Fundies First, Steve Fielding, the fact that his vote is extremely disproportionate to that of Labor, doesn't stop him from blocking the will of the popularly elected Australian Govt. There's gotta be something wrong with that situation! We can blame government pandering to Mr. Fielding for our internet censorship plan whereby all Australians will have the net censored because some people have children and refuse to monitor their computer usage, they believe that everyone should be reduced to the level of a child. The opt-out provision apparently is not really opt out, the state is still going to block what they consider to be 'illegal' sites - the great Australian internet crawl is upon us.

I don't think Palin was McCain's choice as VP, it has cost him a lot of credibility with the more 'intellectual' or shall we say reasonable and moderate conservatives, who are incensed enough to vote Democrat. Maybe having a crazy evangelical as VP has cost him the election, after all, the country has had enough of George Bush's evangelical leadership. Palin was put there purely to please the extreme wing nuts, the crazy for jeebus crowd who love their god and their guns. Now McCain will lose the votes of conservative feminists who will never let the religious decide their fertility and rule over their bodies.
Posted by human interest, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 10:54:13 AM
Romany-“Sharkfin is Brendon O’connor”

Did you read the part where I said I disagree strongly,(THAT IS STRONGLY) with the soft-hearted idealist world views of a lot of the intellectuals. Their inventions and medical cures I applaud them for. Although it was the fighting men who gave them the wealth and territorial resources and learning from the Greeks etc. that enabled them to invent.

Brendan O’Connor is seeking to promote the usual so called intellectual political ideas here, and I quote “BEING FROM THE FRONTIER HAS TOO OFTEN BEEN AN EXCUSE FOR AMERICAN INSULARITY AND IGNORANCE TOWARDS THE REST OF THE WORLD.”

Tell me what country or race in the world does not have this insularity and ignorance towards the rest of the world? This is just the usual big guilt stick to beat the West over the head with to make them pander to what every other race and country in the world can get or take from them. It is a manipulative tool dressed up as promoting love and tolerance. The love and tolerance usually has to be 98% coming only from the Western side.

What Brendan O’Connor is mainly against here is not so much Sara Palin’s religious fundamentalism (which I don’t think has any place in positions of power either)but her down home American loyalty . Her favouring and defence of Americans against what the rest of the world wants.
Loyalists instinctively know that you need to defend and fight for your own to survive.

The intellectuals have this idea of holding hands and talking love and peace and we’ll all live happily everafter . This flawed idea has been a disaster for Europe, America and the Western world and it’s the down home died in the wool loyalists who are reading it right. Why?

Because they are not using their intellect and what they’ve been taught at university to override their natural survival instincts and pretending to feel otherwise like the intellectuals. Listen to your gut instinct it is usually reading the situation right, don’t try to rationalise it away.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 7:53:43 PM
"...Tell me what country or race in the world does not have this insularity and ignorance towards the rest of the world?..."

Only the Americans believe that they are so superior to the rest of the world that everybody else is irrelevant. When you are brought up on a constant diet of 'superpower' and 'the US rules the world' you look down upon everybody else as inferior.

"...Loyalists instinctively know that you need to defend and fight for your own to survive..."

Except the fights and defence are often in the wrong directions and for the wrong causes. Whose fight and whose defence? The public can be sold a lie and the govt. rallies a nationalistic and patriotic fervour amongst the people, but if it based on a flawed premise (war for Iraqi oil whilst Al Quaeda is in another country) then it is neither right nor just.

The 'gut instinct' is also acting upon the worst of basic human instincts - anger, jealousy, prejudice, racism and xenophobia...we should try to rationalise and understand these instincts, they are often a product of upbringing, ignorance, bigotry and lack of education. Sarah Palin would be a leader of the country and her policy and decisions should be reasoned and rational, every political decision is not made in an atmosphere of defending your country and fighting for it's survival (especially when your country is actually the aggressor nation).

I would think more of a political leader who does the hard yards, works toward solutions and peace rather than a state of perpetual war.
Posted by human interest, Friday, 24 October 2008 11:03:56 AM
Good on you, Human Interest, though not necessarily religous, you have brought out something still true of the Sermon of the Mount which is said does not express - thou shalts - but does express the need for reason to balance - thou shalts.

It could thus be said that it is about time the - thou shalts - of the American Way should be altered with not so much about war, but with thoughts about politically sharing the blame, and being more politically apologetic even to the followers of Islam.

Certainly much more wisdom and understanding, which surely sound more Socratic and Aristotelian rather than Christian, just as St Thomas Aquinas and later Immanuel Kant would have surmised.

Regards, BB, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Saturday, 25 October 2008 2:20:21 PM
Ok, just to ram home my point that it's idiotic to describe intellectualism as right or left wing, or indeed to use it to describe people who are not capable of decisive action, I present to you:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election-2008/sarah-palin-considers-herself-intellectual-20081023-56kh.html

"Sarah Palin considers herself intellectual".

Okay, so we can debate whether or not she's intellectual, but that's not the point I'm making - I'm saying, that 'intellectual' is simply a word for people who pride themselves on being able to think carefully and clearly, value knowledge, and make decisions based upon that. I would hope that only intellectual people occupy positions of power.

It is not a politically charged word, or at least, it shouldn't be.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 27 October 2008 3:10:32 PM
"In an arrangement not to be announced until November 4th, the upscale specialty department store chain, Neiman-Marcus and Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin have agreed in principal to open a chain of outlet stores offering discounted Palinwear™, while creating a line of higher-priced Palinwear™ for their upscale locations.

A representative from Neiman Marcus said their new Palinwear™ Collection will be affordable for today’s hockey mom as well as the plumbers’ ex-wives who haven’t been getting the support necessary to buy at our upscale stores.

“Of course there are plenty of women, as well as some pro-American drag queens who just want to look like Sarah,” said spokeswoman, Ann Taylor. “The clothes that were purchased by the Republican National Committee for Governor Palin will need a home after the election. We’re not talking knockoffs here. We’ll be selling those in the foreign markets overseas where Sarah’s stylings have gathered a huge, though unAmerican, following.”

Taylor said the Palinwear™ outlet may just be the start of an ever-growing “Palin-franchise.”

“We want to be the place real Americans go for all their Palin needs,” said Taylor. “Expect to see a UBetcha™ line of women’s casual, Big As The 49th™ for the plus-sized, and Whoops™, a hip outlet for coolest in unwed teen- maternity apparel.”

Taylor promises the Palinwear™ brand won’t be forgetting the men.

“Just Todd™ will embrace the real American outdoorsmen,” said Taylor. ”Just Todd™ will have everything from the Pit Bull ™ line of work and ski-bum outerwear to First Dude™ goin’ to meetin’ formalwear and Look! I Bet They’re Plannin’ Something™, a sportsman’s optical department with lenses capable of ’seeing neighboring countries.’”
McCain/Palin campaign denied to comment on the stores but looked to a Palin vice presidency.

“We’re in a win-win situation,” said Taylor. ”If Obama wins, 95% of the public will have tax cuts with which to buy Palinwear™. If McCain/Palin wins, the people making over $250,000 will have enough money to buy RNC originals. And if things go right, Cindy McCain will take these stores off our hands when the buzz peters out."

With acknowledgement to Huffingtonpost
Posted by bennie, Monday, 27 October 2008 4:47:27 PM
I think the very fist post was from 'Examinator', and I just want to say in reference to the last paragraph of the post, I'm a mature aged uni student, and participating in Philosophy classes has (and I hate this cliche) opened my eyes. IF I want to learn I have to be open to all sides of the story. Yes, I do get informationm overload and very confused (like now) but I have to listen to learn, to make an informed decision. Paulinme and Sarah both terrify me, because I have read their ideals and values and ... ohhhhhhh they frighten me but that empowers me to make sure they don't hurt me. Well, Mrs.Palin is the world's problem even if she can shoot a moose. Hey, can you imagine her with her finger on the red button that will start a nuclear war?? Some poor country lined up in the sights.... press the button ..... B O O M!

Sorry, I went off track, but I do listen to as many sides of the story as possible. If I don't I can't be liberated (I hate that one too.)
Posted by Mally_p, Friday, 7 November 2008 2:53:00 PM
“Palin appeals to American's anti-intellectualism” . . . .” Former beauty queen Sarah Palin “. . . . “Politicians like Palin often ignore this legacy and instead rail against an appreciation of learning and specialist knowledge”

Nothing like a good old generalizations and the pretense of elitism to denounce those who challenge pre-conceived ideas and childish expectations of conformity to a given demand.

I have observed, being ‘intellectual’ and part of the “intellectualist hierarchy”, so often glorified by professorships in academia (as demonstrated by a few regular OLO posters in particular) has absolutely

nothing to do with being “Smart”

Similarly it has nothing to do with being

“Useful” or

“Adding Value” or even

“Contributing” to the human life experience.

Ultimately most professors will need, at some time, the services of plumbers and electricians.

Very few electricians or plumbers will ever need the services of most professors.

As for beauty queens, I would rather see Sarah Palin in a swim suite, than some crusty academic. I suppose the old saying

“If you have it, Flaunt it”

And if you don’t – stay covered up.

Palin has” it”, the author of the article, clearly does not.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 8 November 2008 10:38:13 AM
...so the next in line to the US presidency is totally, like, clueless but ain't she just HOT!
Posted by bennie, Sunday, 9 November 2008 1:05:00 PM
Yeah. I means it's just so totally unfair! Like duh!! If she and Obama had to wear swimsuits for the whole of the campaign just who do you think would be in the oval office next? It's so totally bogus that he won just because he has, you know, ..a brain! Like who needs that stuff nowadays? Puhleeze!!
Posted by Romany, Monday, 10 November 2008 12:39:10 AM
Brains! NO! All you need is something with a pointless visual distraction! hehehehe.

That flushing sound! I went down to the local bingo hall, just to watch the out-comes of attraction, and the visual that I came to sense, just wasn't worth it!, depending on your point of view of course.

Humans will always be draw to pear of big.......and when its in your face!= doesn't necessarily mean leadership. With a wet tee-shirt comp-, well it looks good for the bulls!

Palin! Did I mention the playing of the sex card?

I'm in trouble now! bad EVO! Stay in the natural of common sense.

EVO SMILE

EVO
Posted by EVO, Monday, 10 November 2008 2:10:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy