The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sexy Sarah and a gorgeous, granny Governor-General? > Comments

Sexy Sarah and a gorgeous, granny Governor-General? : Comments

By Rhyll Vallis, published 13/10/2008

The Australian media hands out sexist treatment to women in politics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I suspect that the reason the
focus by the media tends to be on Sarah Palin's
looks (glasses, motherhood, et cetera),rather
than her "qualifications," is due to
her general lack of impressive qualifications in the
political arena. She after-all promotes herself
as a "hockey mum."

And, because our Governor-General is more
than qualified for her job, the media focus
tends to be on her appearance, in order to
"humanise" the lady, for public appeal.

I think that both women are thoroughly enjoying
the media's attention.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 13 October 2008 7:14:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would have to say the short answer is it will happen when women stop seeing themselves like that. Women have to stop blaming men, and have a good look at how they view themselves. During the last Games I don't know how many times I saw the female commentator ask personnel questions to winning athletes bring interviewed. I don't know how many times my wife gets looks and comments from other women, when they find out she doesn't want kids.

PS I think our GG is great and I don't care how many kids she’s had. Also I would dare say that Sarah is not there for her steel trap mind.
Posted by cornonacob, Monday, 13 October 2008 7:21:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many studies show that women are more concerned with their looks than men are: I bet that Sarah Palin's wardrobe budget, for instance, is several times higher than Joe Biden's. Under those circumstances it's not unreasonable for the media to focus on women's looks because that's something that the women themselves tend to consider important.

On the other hand I would also love to see some of our male power figures discussing their grandchildren, showing off their shoe collections and taking paternity leave: it might help both the individuals concerned and the electorate to realise that they are only human like the rest of us.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 13 October 2008 7:23:19 PM
I have no problem with reference being made to the fact that these women, or any other female political figures, are mothers or grandmothers. That is an important part of who they are and in my view should not be deliberately omitted, purely in order to match the standards of reporting that might be applied to male political figures.

I do have a problem though with the media obsessing over the appearance of these women. The scrutiny should be applied to their achievements and policy positions not to what they are wearing. I do feel, fairly or unfairly, that both these women invite this superficial focus to some extent, as they both obviously go to some pains over their appearance.

There are female political figures who don't find themselves subjected to the same intense scrutiny over their looks. The Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, for example, is a no fuss person whose priority is obviously getting on with the job at hand. She dresses sensibly and looks good, but there's always a sense when you see her interviewed that for her what she has to say is far more important than how she looks. And I think that attitude is reflected in the way in which she is reported on.
Posted by Bronwyn, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 12:33:57 AM
I meant the ditz running for VP.
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 8:46:38 AM
In my experience it tends to be women who make a lot of noise about other womens looks. They tend to put a very high value on apparent beauty, the facade of the beauty myth, to the point of becoming rather fawning about it. "She's sooooo beautifoooool" is commonly heard by women about little girls and new girlfriends and these clothes or that house. It seems to be very important to them.

l think its about the sexual power and manipulative utility of beautiful imagery (women are very big on image) that women tend to foster. They seem extrmely reticent to throw off the shackles of the beauty myth (wont go out without makeup, wont go to the beach without removing body hair). Its hard to let go of the effectiveness of it and its a dissappointing copout to blame those they seek to manipulate. They also use beauty as a way of manipulating each other, establishing hierarchies of conformity and competition and use it as a way of keep each other down (not dissimilar to what men do around money and resources).

As for Palin, where they got the notion that she possesses cliched beauty is beyond me. She wears way too much makeup and there's far too much fakery of hair and grooming for me to even begin to see any real or true beauty she may possess. Then again, she is a politician so its likely she's a bit of a scoundrel and not beautiful on the inside.
Posted by trade215, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 3:03:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy