The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Housing affordability needs a vision that goes beyond the next election > Comments

Housing affordability needs a vision that goes beyond the next election : Comments

By Russ Grayson, published 20/10/2003

Russ Grayson looks at a range of long-term solutons to housing affordability

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Does anyone out there really think the problem of housing affordability will ever be solved?

I am a low income wage earner, though not a first time buyer (but I will come to that) who having arrived back in Australia after several years abroad is faced with the same problem as I was living overseas in England. That being on a nurses wage I simply cannot afford to buy to buy a house on my own. Indeed it is fair to say I would be lucky if I could buy half a house on my own.

In England I became what is known as a co-buyer, where I purchased a house on a shared ownership agreement with another nurse. It all worked out well but for personal reasons after a few years I had to return back down under. Getting a job here was no problem, but as for buying a house, well forget it.

I have signed up with http://www.co-buyers.net to find another co-buyer here to do the same again, but until the government can actually build and deliver a constant supply (and I mean over many years) of affordable and good low cost housing I think demand will always outstrip supply forcing people like me to continually look at shared ownership solutions.

What can you do?? Will it ever really change??
Posted by seeking co-buyers, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 7:45:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy