The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Plugging the leaks > Comments

Plugging the leaks : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 29/9/2008

The search of 'Canberra Times' journalist Philip Dorling's house by Federal Police on September 23, 2008, may be justifiable.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Pete

I wasn't talking to Philip about this. It was before then and was just about minor matters.

But the Canberra Times has been arguing this is an attempt to fighten future leakers from leaking and journalists from publishing the leaks.
Posted by Passy, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 9:17:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Dorling was for a while visiting fellow at ADFA too. Big publicity, lack of prosecution or substantial interference, trivial substance of the leak, party connections, and Canberra Times: does anyone else smell a charade here?

Pete: Agee and MI6 agents are a quite different case: “not applicable”. The Dorling case, whether for the leak purported or if related to that aviation matter I cited as more credible, poses no such risk to any source. Obviously some reporting cannot do that, hence my comparison to tactical combat scenarios. But the cases in question, especially as leaked, pose no such risk to sources. Reflexive admonishment about source protection serves only to further mystify intelligence work under prevailing shrouds of bogus moralism (if not bogus nationalism too).

Btw, I think the main reason you have “kept quiet about C, S, TS” etc. is because such material is generally mundane and over-rated b0||0x. It is a key part of the system's problem that its people are usually so in thrall to its secrecy cult, gushing over classifications and its products' presumed special value and implicit class baggage of exclusivity. On that point, check how rpg confuses “secrecy” with “competency”!

rpg: “Easy who you call a traitor, in some countries, not as free as ours admitedly, writing such inflamatory [sic] stuff about decision makers may well be seen as 'traitorous'...”
If our country is so free, why do I need to go “easy on who I call a traitor” anyway? If you re-examine your warning and its sentiment, maybe you will realize that this country is not so free, thus explaining just why you wrote that caution. That is why “blacklists” here keep functioning so effectively: people internalize the spirit and letter of anti-democratic and anti-dissident zeal; corruption laughs all the way to the next cover-up, mark-up, fake "dissent" puppet show/honey trap operation, financier bail-outs and other offences.
Posted by mil-observer, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 11:01:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rpg (rocket propelled grenade?)

I looked into the ANDREW (my mistake) Wilkie, Lord Downer, Bolt matter http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/05/1083635154998.html and yes it is appalling. The Bolt investigation appeared to be quietly dropped by the AFP(?). The leaked document was apparently TS Codeword – somewhat higher caveat, I imagine, than those concerning the Mr Dowling matter.

It seems Pro-Government leaks are almost investigated then dropped while anti Government leaks get the full legal hammering. This might make one suspect that behind national security laws lie partisan political outcomes.

Re JSF – thanks, the Janes article was interesting.

If we go with the JSF hopefully Australia can follow Britain’s example and play hardball with the US/Lockheed – Australia should buy as late as possible to get the best/most developed version of the JSF. Block 6 or 7 for a discount?

This whole Rand simulation debate is symptomatic of how under-developed the JSF is. Some are saying “its only a simulation” however Mr Fitzgibbon/Cabinet may well be asked (by Lockheed) to decide on the JSF in 12 months time based STILL on Lockheed’s simulated performance estimates. This may be because Lockheed is likely to build a paper non US version of the JSF for Australia.

The small carrying capacity of the JSF for missiles OR bombs compared to the F-22 is also a rising concern.

However looking at the region the small number of Flankers any Southeast Asian nation is likely to field is cause for hope. Their standard of piloting may not be comparable to the RAAF’s. Only exception being Singapore and they are solidly pro US/Aus.

--

mil-observer

Yep. From what I’ve read so far the Dowling case documents probably involve more bilaterally embarrassing issues than anything else.

I don’t want to cause further concerns to security guys in Canberra about what I remember. No its not “mundane and over-rated” but very vivid. But enough said by me on that.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 4:45:58 PM
No Pete, the supposed "bilateral embarrassment" is also over-rated; purported allies being sussed out is hardly a scandal, even in the more blatant cases of the British in New York and Washington from 1942.

It seems you have caused no concerns to the security minders at all; in fact, your suggestive comments would please them no end. You have made a "plug" for both leaks and contained streams of the business, thereby promoting continued budgetary largess for the minders and the keyhole-peepers alike. Your comments express the mystery and inner warm glow of an initiate: that is exactly what any cult strives to exhibit to the public in order to keep avoiding scrutiny, thus staying impervious to genuine dissent (while punishing it), criticism (while ignoring it), and meaningful reform. Such cults always court disaster.
Posted by mil-observer, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 7:44:22 PM
Researching the recent AFP search/raid and a past raid further I now owe Philip Dorling an apology.

There appears to have been a pattern of security surveillance and raids of Philip’s home that make him a marked man. The raid of Philip’s home in 2000 http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/20/1069027240975.html was perhaps the most notorious. It concerned a series of leaks to the media about a powerful pro-Indonesia bias in Australia’s military intelligence and foreign affairs establishment. The matter was wide-ranging http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s1121412.htm

The theory of some in this thread may well by true that the recent AFP raid may have been to search for classified material on several matters and the names of “leakers” on several matters.

(meanwhile some in this thread offer predictably prejudiced personal abuse ;)

The Federal Government in general and its security organs (mainly AFP and ASIO) do not want a journalist in Canberra who can be easily contacted by Public Servants and who can relatively easily meet Public Servants for non-interceptable interviews.

If a journalist is knowledgeable enough to paint a comprehensive picture of formerly quiet matters, and who can publish what he writes widely, then this is an added threat.

Such a person is apparently to be cowered/muzzled before a trial begins or perhaps there may be no trial just the hanging threat of one.

Pre-trial or No-trial limbo of the journalist and intimidation of the wider media may be the point of Government action.

It is possible that not only “Revealed: our spy targets” of June 13 2008 but also Philip’s June 17, 2008 article “US spy base to be built in WA” http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/us-spy-base-to-be-built-in-wa/790453.aspx (see last 2 paras) would have angered not only Australian but also US Government authorities.

The US as Australia’s ally in many military things including intelligence matters may have been concerned that the relationship was not being protected securely enough by Australian authorities. So the latest raid on Philip’s house being partially motivated by US demands may be possibility.

On basis of what I’ve read, and now hypothesised, I apologise for doubting that you are doing the right thing Philip.

Regards

Peter Coates
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 1 October 2008 4:30:55 PM
goofd post Peter. At lest you had the courage to admit it.

As JM Keynes said in respone to criticism that he had changed his mind said:

"When I am wrong I change my mind. What do you do?"
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 1 October 2008 8:18:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy