The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A republic revived? > Comments

A republic revived? : Comments

By Peter van Vliet, published 25/9/2008

Republicans are looking for responsible, bipartisan leadership from Rudd and Turnbull on the important national issue of a republic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
"it is important, ludwig. the transition to a republic is an opportunity to inject some fundamental democracy into oz. but it needs preparatory discussion."

Yes DEMOS, it is indeed a huge opportunity to improve the democratic 'quality' of our governance.

But do you think it will happen?

I can almost guarantee that it will be a major opportunity squandered.

"the alternative is to leave the transition in the hands of the same people who have looted the planet and led the people to the brink of ecological disaster."

The transition WILL be in those peoples' hands...and they'll make sure that the transition is one in which the core concerns that I mentioned in my last post don't get addressed, let alone become the centre of our efforts.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 26 September 2008 12:04:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy