The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A malaise in the Nationals > Comments

A malaise in the Nationals : Comments

By Alby Schultz, published 15/9/2008

'Die hard' Nationals cannot continue to ignore the reality that their demise as a political party is inevitable.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
It seems to me that the Nat have to either die or learn to stand on their own. The main reason why they have declined IMO is simply you can't see day light between Nats and Country Libs.
As the liberal party has become more conservative the harder it is for Nats to be seen to be different.
More Joyce and less Boswell will see the Nat live on the other way is become a Lib. Do kid yourself that it will be a merger.
Posted by cornonacob, Monday, 15 September 2008 7:42:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The liberals become more conservative. So wat does that make the nationals. They certainly aint for labour.
Posted by jason60, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 8:50:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Alby that a merger is inevitable, for the reasons he has outlined. A "Country Party" which represents the interests of rural and associated interests is no longer relevant, and a "broad church" approach for conservative intersts is needed. The Nationals put in a strong showing in the recent WA elections, in large part due to the perception that the Labor government was using regional (i.e. mining royalties) to further projects in Perth, and also because WA is somewhat more decentralised compared to NSW. That "strong showing" was however, a mere 4 seats, enough though to join with the Liberals to form government.

As with NSW, many regional WA centres fell to or are held by Liberals, who do a good job these days of representing rural and regional issues: the main wealth of my current electorate comes from mining and tourism, not agriculture.

I must say I'm pleased that Alby has had such a long career in state and federal politics, having handed out "how to vote" cards for him in the late 80s in Junee and been represented by him. I did however leave the Liberal Party over the indignity of the gun law changes, and no party today represents the views of a confirmed centrist. Alby has at least shown some independence on a great many issues.
Posted by viking13, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 10:59:30 AM
What we need is a joint effort between the Nationals and the animal activists to give kangaroos the vote (to be administered, of course, by the farmer on whose land they live). This would have massive benefits for all. It would eliminate the National's need for more humans to live in the interior, would save on such expensive disasters as the soldier settlement scheme, and would give the Nationals the representation they desire. The may be a conflict with that major rural sport of moonlighting, which has nothing to do with tax avoidance (what? Nationals dishonest? Never!) and everything to do with killing roos at night from the comfort of a utility.

One way or another I am sure the Nationals will be around for a very long time.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 8:12:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy