The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What to do with the ankle biters? > Comments

What to do with the ankle biters? : Comments

By Glynne Sutcliffe, published 5/9/2008

Maxine and the mums - one more step towards the approaching apocalypse of Aldous Huxley’s ‘Brave New World’.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Demos

I should have said in my previous post that I agreed with you in addition to the other posters I acknowledged. I had scanned the previous commentary a bit too quickly to realise you made some good points.

My only criticism is that the selection of solutions you suggest are too top-down. The changing face of marriage is being driven from the bottom up, as more and more people challenge the prevailing system, e.g. like my cousin who married her girlfriend recently in a proper almost-traditional wedding ceremony. As with so many social revolutions of the past, governments will finally (and hopefully) realise they have little choice but to rubber stamp what the people are already doing.
Posted by SJF, Sunday, 7 September 2008 11:10:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HRS "although the term “get over it” is used to silence any dissent"

Well it apparently is not very effective.

It's more often used to suggest to people with massive chips on their shoulders that it's time to move on.

Like it or not the world has changed, peoples expectations have changed. Your obsessive hatred of feminism harms the causes you seem to support, it makes all criticism of feminsm seem suspect.

If I was to say "Get over it" it's a call to personal growth rather than a wish for you to continue to stew in your hatred of all things feminist. It's a call for your to recognise that like most things it has strengths and failings. It's a call for you to move on from something that harms you.

Get over it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 7 September 2008 8:48:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert,
So what are your thoughts about a “brave new world”.

My thoughts are that the future will belong to societies that produce enough children, and don’t abort themselves and divorce themselves into non-existence.

For example: - Russia is about to become Muslim, France is about to become Muslim, Holland is about to become Muslim, and the UK is about to become a mixture of Indian, Pakistani and Muslim.
Posted by HRS, Monday, 8 September 2008 2:43:01 PM
HRS, I'm of the view that the answer does not lie in numbers but in being the type of society that most want to be a part of. That the extremists of any faith who want to live by the worst interpretaions of their faith are a minority and that most want something better.

That our society will be stronger when all adults can take part in it fully, not just the half who happen to have a penis.

I think that we are going through a transition in our understanding of relationships and the way that we deal with sexuality and that high abortion rates and high divorce rates have more to do with remnants of the tired old past than with the brave new world which concerns you.

I'm of the belief that the main threat to our society lies not with muslims but with the fundamentalists who want to drag us into their turf war against an alternative theology. Those who want to make us more like what they oppose rather than less like it.

I'm of the view that religion loses it's bite when people know they have a choice about it rather than when it's directly opposed. Those who seek a head on war with Islam strengthen it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 8 September 2008 6:19:58 PM
SJF, great comments by the way. Sorry I'd not responded to your comments earlier but I had an itch to scratch.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 8 September 2008 9:49:58 PM
How many children does the deputy leader of the opposition, Julie Bishop, have? None. But then, she is of course is not a left wing uber-feminist like any of the 'holy trinity' in government.

If only a good man had swept that frustrated envious thing of her feet and impregnated her she could have been rearing some rational, calm little liberals while Papa, like in the good old days when men were men and women were women,was single handedly bringing home the bacon, saving the world and buying the house.

SJF, Robert and Demos. Great posts. Thanks for some sane voices in response to the hysterical drivel waffling about 'biological mothers abandoning their children'.
Posted by Anansi, Tuesday, 9 September 2008 12:38:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy