The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My generation > Comments

My generation : Comments

By John Töns, published 2/9/2008

It seems there are those who believe that Baby Boomers have stayed beyond their use-by-date and expect them to shuffle quietly into the sunset.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
As a BB myself - let me say this.
All the hype about the BB generation being somehow all beer and skittles is misleading. The majority of them had to work as hard as the generations before, who at least had the benefit of not having to deal with so much social change crap. On top of that, we also had to shoulder part of the burden of our parents' experiences with The Depression and The War (or two or even in some cases, three or more Wars), as well as a succession of dismal governments.
Personally, I think we've done very well.
One thing I know for myself and my kids' mother is that we've worked very hard, and never stinted, so as to ensure that our children never had to do the hard yards that we did; what else is a parent for? My kids are drawing the benefits of that right now - and I'm happy to spend the rest of my life SKI-ing (Spending the Kids' Inheritance), since they've already got theirs due to their father's and mother's dedication to ensuring they would never have to work hard, go hungry or cold, or be broke, and are admirably set up to have a good life.
Posted by The Ghost, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 8:15:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Beer & skittles, no. Career security, an expectation their generation would be better off than the previous one, predictable employment, affordable housing and tertiary education, uninterrupted economic growth; all these things have cossetted the BBGen from the risk and insecurity of today's "difficult times". X & Y gens have a totally different set of circumstances to contend with, in many ways better and in others a lot worse.

In terms of the economy the BBGen is enjoying the benefits of a serendipitous 30-year pyramid scheme. Spend your savings by all means but realise the generation that follows is more savvy, unconventional and skeptical since that's their world.
Posted by bennie, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 8:30:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come on bennie, more savvy? BBs had 60 in a class & still learned to add up, WITHOUT a calculator.

More sceptical? You lot believe in anthropological global warming, for heavens sake.

Try again mate.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 10:34:10 PM
Bennie, if the X and Y gen were at all savvy, they wouldn't be building huge houses that they can't afford, maxxing out their credit cards on luxuries that they don't really need and working their butts off to send their spoilt kids to private schools which don't produce any better outcomes than the schools that the state provides.

Get Real

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 11:02:30 PM
Ah, yes. Aggressive capitalism and the rise of the profligate generation. It’s a matter of speculation how things would be today if credit fell off the back of a truck and landed at the feet of the BBGen, as happens now.

But relax. Firstly you’ll get to enjoy watching the inevitable comeuppance from a position of security; and secondly it’s what drives the ASX to ever-increasing heights, carrying your super with it.

AGW is another kettle of fish altogether. What did the BBGen believe in? The idea of an immutable planet and unlimited natural resources is fortunately waning
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 4 September 2008 3:31:35 PM
Interesting to observe the way the comments are evolving it seems as if the argument has become centred on which generation has a mortgage on good sense and sound ideas about living. To me the reality is that every generation since the dawn of time has been much the same - a few idealists with views how the world could be a better place drowned out by the majority only interested in short term gratification. And we are supposed to be at the pinnacle of evolution?
Posted by BAYGON, Thursday, 4 September 2008 3:40:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy