The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Youth-in-Asia > Comments

Youth-in-Asia : Comments

By John Töns, published 29/8/2008

Euthanasia: we are a society that is determined to deny the most important freedom to us all - the freedom to leave when we are ready.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I agree that this is a great article that succinctly captures the cruel reality that our society ultimately is more humane in some ways to animals than it is to people. Given that it's an issue that apparently won't go, I live in hope that reason and mercy will prevail over superstition before it's my time to shuffle off the mortal coil.

Steel Mann - I distinctly remember an almost identical experience at a high school scripture class when I was a kid: the good reverend came in and announced that the day's lesson was about euthanasia, which I interpreted as 'youth in asia'. Unfortunately, the false promise that I briefly held was quickly dispelled when he launched into his usual tirade about the sanctity of life and God's mysterious ways.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 30 August 2008 11:57:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am living the nightmare right now.

My mother's life has become untenable and still she lives...
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 31 August 2008 10:27:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle, I am so sorry!

You need to list all of her friends and relatives who are still in contact with her, try to assess their views on this topic and their will/ability to stir up trouble. Check that your mother isn't in a faith based hospital/hostel/nursing home. Shop around for a doctor with beliefs similar to your own.

Make sure there are clear enforceable no revive, no force feed instructions and pray for pneumonia.
Posted by billie, Sunday, 31 August 2008 10:39:30 AM
billie:
You have hit the nail on the head with the solution for "Fractelles" mother!.... "Hope for Pneumonia!" That says it all and examplifies the deep dark frustration that faces all us humanitarians in our efforts to seek solace for our loved ones who are faced with the "final countdown", ( If only the idiots out there, who oppose this issue, would realise that we all have to travel this road eventually, and for some that final road can be strewn with very, very painful, long drawn-out obstacles that stave off the final breath that brings the demise and freedom from pain and suffering!)

I appreciate your reasoning "billie" but I would NOT wish Pneumonia on anyone as a "final release".....I have been down that road and I could not condone that amount of pain and suffering,if there was ANY alternative, to bring about a clean peaceful severance!

I would suggest that anyone who has seen the movie "Soylent Green" would appreciate the way in which Edward G Robinson decided to avail himself of the "Termination Process" that was available to him,.....a drink of an gentle "Green Dream" solution, accompanied by beautiful music and scenery, activated until the heartbeat ceased, and then.......well that is another issue again,..Sci-Fi at it`s best!
Posted by Cuphandle, Sunday, 31 August 2008 12:36:13 PM
Billie! "That was cold mate"! very cold. I hope people like you are not in charge when I go!. That would have to be the worst comment I have ever heard.
How about the fact, that all families gather for one final get- together, conscious or not, and have the send-off, like they requested. "with honer and dignity".
(Everyone leaves with the lasting memory of you alive and warm.)
(Everyone walks away feeling good/sad ,and all parties are happy.)
( This how I would want to be remembered especially for my children's emotional and long term well being)
If your conscious, all the last words can be said, and closure is completed. You know! The words you cant say once you have died through the night alone.

What is wrong with that?

I can't think of one distasteful thought about that whole picture.

P/S I'm the one throwing the party!So what are you complaining about!

EVO
Posted by EVO, Sunday, 31 August 2008 1:54:14 PM
Fractelle, I'm so sorry that your mother is in such a position. You have written eloquently before about her plight and your and your sister's grief.

John, great article. It is so very sad that few are willing to honestly look at how the law is actually applied in the Netherlands and what happens now that there are clear guidelines. Australians could only wish that there was such clarity here.

Here death and dying is shrouded in secrecy and semantics and very much up to the individual doctor, who may or may not have your personal moral compass as a guide determining how much suffering is to be tolerated by you.

Fractelle, many doctors are quite comfortable with the notion of 'alleviating pain' with as a 'side-effect' the 'possibiity' of 'shortening life'. I've seen 'pain relief' administered when the patient was not in any great pain, but had other issues (breathing difficulties) and death came within the day.

I wish your family great strength. Some of our city centres have wonderful palliative care units, though, like here on the Gold Coast, are too often seen as expendable and easy to close down to make way for more politically expendient beds.

Palliative Care and access to voluntary euthanasia are areas that require much attention and open debate as our population ages over a much longer period than ever before.
Posted by yvonne, Sunday, 31 August 2008 4:07:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy