The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mother Mekong’s moods > Comments

Mother Mekong’s moods : Comments

By Melody Kemp, published 29/8/2008

While Australians watched the Olympics, the Mekong was experiencing a devastating once in 100-year flood. Was it reported by the Australian media?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
This story is both informative and sad. As an American who thinks that I keep up with international news, I too, was blissfully ignorant of this flood. At the same time,I was well aware of the Gold metals being won at the Olympics.
Posted by Joe in the U.S., Friday, 29 August 2008 3:38:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly third world disasters get little attention unless thy are of monumental proportions, like the tsunami, or affect us - also like the tsunami This was driven home to me in 1975 when I was visiting Geneva. The local newspaper gave front page treatment to Cyclone Tracey in Darwin, lamenting the loss of 45 lives. Many pages into the paper was a small paragraph about the death of 450 people in a flood in India.

At least these days we can use the internet to keep in touch with what is happening around the world. The Al Jazeera English edition provides coverage of significant events in most places, perhaps because it doesn't have a western perspective.
Posted by Candide, Friday, 29 August 2008 4:20:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A huge human disaster getting in the way of australian sport reporting ? Don't be silly !
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 August 2008 7:09:52 PM
Let's be realistic about it. The average Australian couldn't give a rat's *&$# about what happens in that part of the world unless they start making cheap cars and we lose jobs because of it.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 30 August 2008 3:34:46 PM
I was also very frustrated by the lack of media in Australia about the floods!! I have a lot of family in Vientiane and the best we were hearing was from them on the phone when it was working. The situation seemed quite confused and a huge amount of people were impacted by the floods. It is amazing how sport obsessed Australian are (and the Olympic coverage was even more boring than usual!), however even at normal times there is little coverage of Asian disasters like this in Australia, people just dont care. It's ok to go there for a holiday, but we wouldnt want to actually be concerned about the people over there, they just drive the buses and run the hotels and make the cocktails. Not real people at all apparently! Very frustrating!
Posted by pmac, Monday, 1 September 2008 12:31:02 PM
Many thanks Melody for your thoughtful reality check. It would be nice if it jolted the SMH and the ABC into a re-think about what is newsworthy and what is the froth. I also appreciated the comments of others such as pmac. As a short term English language teacher in Da Nang Vietnam, I too have realised, with pain, that many of my fellow Australian (and English, Canadian and US) ex pats, simply don't regard people from Asia, and other areas of the world such as Latin America) as real people.

As we come to 11 September, and the predictable outpouring of sorrow at the US events of a few years ago, let's remember the other 11 September, the one that happened in Chile in 1973, when a democratically elected government was overturned with US military and financial support, and thousands were butchered.
Posted by anna52, Monday, 1 September 2008 11:49:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy