The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fair go Olympics? > Comments

Fair go Olympics? : Comments

By Dennis Hemphill, published 20/8/2008

Is such a sophisticated approach to sport by Australia and other nations fair for the 'have-nots'?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I certainly agree that there is no such thing a a 'level playing field' in international sport, but I do have a few thoughts on the issue . . .

Obviously, we can't ban technology. Where would we start? Short of returning to the ancient nude competitions, we can't get rid of technology altogether. And even in the raw, our athletes would benefit from dietary advances.

Rather than using GDP as a measure for adjusting national performance, we should also consider the money poured into each athlete by each country and by private sponsors. While Ethiopia is by no means a wealthy country, I am sure Haile Gebrselassie (sp?) doesn't have to fight his neighbours for a slice of bread each day. similarly, North Korea takes great pride in its sport and rewards individual achievers with privileges not offered to the rest of its population. Many athletes represent countries in which they no longer live, and train with the high-tech facilities offered in wealthier countries. Some of our own athletes are included in this category.

One solution (which I don't pretend is practical) is to take the nation out of the Olympics. Ditch the medal tally and celebrate individual performance. This would offer a more compelling 'coming together' of the world's greatest athletes. Of course, this would make team sports problematic, and remove the incentive for governments to support their elite sportsmen and women. Why would Australia send people to the Olympics if they had nothing to brag about in return? Thus the Olympics would become the playground of those who are wealthy enough to fund their own endeavours.

Perhaps IOC-funded 'Olympic Academies' around the world, drawing in promising athletes from all over the world to train in world-class facilities regardless of personal background? This would not create a wholly level playing field, but would open up more opportunities for the less lucky. Probably a very 'pie in the sky' suggestion.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 28 August 2008 11:51:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy