The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Saving the Coorong by restoring its native state > Comments

Saving the Coorong by restoring its native state : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 14/8/2008

Opening the barrages can save the lower lakes but not the Murray River

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I am not sure why I am posting here. To thank daggett, Fractelle, CJ Morgan I guess for highlighting what Jennifer has said in the past, I guess.

The article did make some sense when read alone. But read as a follow on to the articles Jennifer has posted in the past it is almost surreal. Her suggestions in every article, regardless of the problem at hand, contain the same underlying themes - don't manage try it, get the government out of the way, let the farmers farm, let the loggers log, let the river go dry, let the climate take care of itself ....

And when we create some problem that could solved had we taken some pro-active action before (that she almost certainly would recommended against) then we should just let it takes its course, don't try to manage it, just get out of the way ... Its like a listening to a broken record.
Posted by rstuart, Monday, 18 August 2008 7:38:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey rstuart - if you think this article's surreal, just check out this, posted on her blog today:

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/003338.html

Apparently it's all been a Socratic bait and switch. For the past five years or so.

Who'd a thunk it?.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 18 August 2008 9:15:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ROFL, CJ

Well she sure suckered me in - I thought she was serious.

Knock me down with a feather.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 19 August 2008 8:00:55 AM
(continuedfromabove)

Clearly we have to acknowledge that the scale of agriculture dependent upon the Murray Darling system is unsustainable and it must be drastically scaled back. This also has implications for our population size. The larger our population, the more difficult it will be to either feed them directly with food from the Murray-Darling system, or indirectly through export income.

As a stop-gap measure, whatever water that is necessary to save the lakes and prevent the necessity to inundate the lakes with seawater must be taken. The Greens and Independents should be commended for acting to set up a Senate Inquiry to establish exactly how much water can be found to save the lakes (http://candobetter.org/node/733). We should not just accept Penny Wong's word that nothing can be done to save the lakes and the livelihoods of communities living around the lakes.
Posted by daggett, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 12:28:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daggett

Agree, the Murray-Darling system can be resurrected. We have the knowledge and the technology.

All that is needed is:

1. The will
2. Cooperation of farmers and business, federal and state governments.

Easy Peasy.
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 8:46:34 AM
Nothing reasonable is impossible.
Posted by JF Aus, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 9:12:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy