The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > TV news bashes youth and incites ignorance > Comments

TV news bashes youth and incites ignorance : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 13/8/2008

Is it a purely Adelaide phenomenon that TV news portrays the 15-24 age group as binge-drinking, drug-taking, speeding P-platers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Why use the word BASH in this context.
No-one is being bashed.

Perhaps the term moral panic would be more appropriate?

Moral panics about teenagers have always occurred for forever and a day.
Posted by Ho Hum, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 7:53:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Half agree with Ho Hum but tend to think TV - especially commercial TV - demonises young people. I'm old enough to once remember when I thought TV would/could be a liberating medium, but now it's so base and simplistic, it lacks any nuance.

King would have been better off writing about the primacy of a visual medium and the entertainment value of TV news - and what it does to cognition - rather than focusing on young people. I get what he means though.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 8:47:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What Malcolm king says is right. As i am apart of the current youth i and i see the constant wave of news services and current affairs constantly talk about how evil the youth is i wonder do all youth drink until their liver is destroyed NO. Do all P plate drivers hoon NO the media all they want to do is avoid real news or create enemies of people. Most youth are responsible but thats not news. In what way do these journalists have any right to criticizes the youth of today anyway . We live in a society were we choose to forget our own mistakes maybe these journalists drank heavier when they were in their youth or dragged raced their mates. who knows but why don't we hear from the youth perspective not from people who grew up in the 20s 30s 40s.
Posted by josh j, Monday, 25 August 2008 4:10:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy