The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The dark side of the Olympic spirit > Comments

The dark side of the Olympic spirit : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 11/8/2008

The Olympic Games: the good idea of 1894 has become an absurdity in 2008.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
What a horribly cynical piece of writing. Really the author should lock themselves away and ensure they don't spread any of their jaundiced views. I understand the argument that says you cant have freedom without accepting prostitution but the simmering disquiet in this argument is just too much.

Yes the Olympic Games have been politicised, yes people tuned in in droves to watch Cathy Freeman but don't label us all as automatons because of that. I watch sport, I watch the Olympics but I am sure that my innocence is not unique in that I watch those events for the supreme athleticism of the competitors. I get pleasure from watching people achieve feats that so many thought impossible, and yes there are cheats who use drugs and defraud the public by doing so but they are the exception to the rule. Libby Trickett's beaming smile, the courage of our cyclists and the towering marks of Matthew Lloyd in the AFL all inspire me to do better and to revel in the pure joy of these competitors.

Reading your empty rhetoric stole several minutes of my life and left me feeling sorry for you in that you can't enjoy the pure unadulterated ecstasy of the athletes who literally try their heart out to be the best.
Posted by Nigel from Jerrabomberra, Monday, 11 August 2008 10:47:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The olympic games are a perversion of sport. Xenophobia, Nationalism, propaganda, exploitation, drug addiction,cheating, lies,self-delusion, myopia and greed all on a very large scale, properly describe the olympic 'games'.
This is an important piece by Mr Holden and hopefully it will receive as wider audience as the "games" themselves.
The unquestioning acceptance of the edicts of the powerful can only lead to further ignorance and I am delighted to read a challenge.
Posted by ocm, Monday, 11 August 2008 11:24:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is ludicrous.

The Olympics, along with other major global sporting festivals, is one of the world's best ways for promoting common themes between nations. It not only provides an opportunity for viewers to celebrate the diversity of humanity pursuing common goals, but has proven crucial to helping breakdown racist attitudes. One has only to note the success of black athletes in the early 20th century, and how their feats made a mockery of the supposed racial supremacy of any race.

In this world becoming smaller everyday,the world needs its peaceful celebrations to provide an alternative to the many political problems we still face today.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 11 August 2008 11:38:37 AM
‘In this world becoming smaller every day, the world needs its peaceful celebrations to provide an alternative to the many political problems we still face today.’ Yes,indeed. National and individual Glory through sport is far far better than the old national and individual Glory through war.

But increasing excesses now need to be curbed, and could be. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/chinagames.htm. Sports Medal tables now correlate with expenditure on training, http://www.wais.org.au/other/wais/page.asp?ID=14, which is unfair, excessive and even harmful. Poor countries cannot afford millions in costs, http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2004/s1188341.htm.

Could Australia now innovate and introduce other Olympics too for skills and thrills,such as SkillOlympics, http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/skilolyp.htm, and nations compete for glory in progress for the Human Race? http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/ozolymp.htm#nations

Television is an ideal medium to show competitions in needed skills like weightlifting people for hospitals and emergency workers, pedalling to power electricity for appliances, and even races with a jar on your head, where poor countries could excel. Years spent training would be of benefit even to the losers, and spectators too would learn skills.

A start has already been made with the Worldskills ‘Skills Olympics’ movement for young trades workers http://www.worldskills.org.au. We could also have Medals for the reporting media, http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/ozolympic.htm#medals%20for%20the%20media.

Where are Australia’s medals for innovations? Where are our Skillaroos?
Posted by ozideas, Monday, 11 August 2008 7:19:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The original Olympic athletes were certainly not amateurs and not above cheating or winning at all costs, so what's the difference now? The whole Olympic farce is a scandalous waste of taxpayer's money, let the fans who support this ludicrous spectacle pay for it. Who cares if Australians can swim, jump or shuffle faster than foreigners?
Posted by mac, Monday, 11 August 2008 10:16:17 PM
mac

Beautiful. In a few words you have put my entire article in a nutshell.

Nigel

You say the cheats are the exception to the rule. It only takes one exception to the rule to steal a gold medal and the smile from Libby Trickett.

You missed the point that I was like you up until 1976 when the manipulation of the masses became blindingly obvious. However, you choose to ignore that distortion. Fair enough. Enjoy the games.

Chris

You say that the games break down racism. They do to a very limited extent. If we want to show how non-racist we all are, we can substantially donate to the funds trying to care for the black children in Africa. Did you know that what the Beijing games cost could feed and educate 1.5 million black children in Africa right up to their 18th birthday?
Posted by Brian Holden, Tuesday, 12 August 2008 12:55:54 PM
Brian,

You are indeed right about aid. We need to give much more to poor nations.

But such world celebrations are not as disastrous as you may suggest. The host city does get an opportunity to provide substantial employment, although debt can be a rather costly legacy if it gets out of hand and does not enhance the city's reputation and attractiveness. The pollution levels may be a put off for future visitors to Beijing.

But just because drugs are rampant, and they have been for a long time (perhaps since early 1950s), the games cost a lot, they downplay political problems, although China's scrutiny by the world may have important lasting effects, does not diminish their worth. Such competitions and celebrations actually reinforce interest in other nations which can only help the world.

Where they may be improved (although it may not be a realistic idea), is to split up the sports to a number of cities around the world. Poorer nations could then bid for sports where they have some affinity and interest. The fact that Hong Kong hosts the equestrian events, and Austrlaia shared socer venues in 2000 means that the spread of events to a number of countries could work. Then it would truly be a global festival, and would help share the cost burden while providing important benefit to poorer nations who could never afford the entire games.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 12 August 2008 4:49:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy