The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Competing codes sustain strife in rugby > Comments

Competing codes sustain strife in rugby : Comments

By Barry Cohen, published 30/7/2008

A hundred years on and the descendants of the blockheads who originally stuffed rugby are alive and well.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
And so we get another Rugby Union lover death riding Rugby League,for a man who represented a working class party in Parliament I am all ways amazed how quickly people like this bloke dump anything to do with said class.
Rugby Union the ultimate conservatives game, a game the thought there was nothing wrong with keeping the blacks in the place in South Africa,a game that has no problems with the FRU collaborators, a Game that denied Rugby League Grounds and everything else in the UK and a man who is in bed with the likes of Bolt, Ackerman and co,no wonder NEWs LTD and Quadrant love him.
Posted by j5o6hn, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 10:35:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It won't happen Barry, best you concentrate on looking after your animals, at least they haven't got their brains in their necks.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 11:12:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For the first time in my life I agree with Cohen! And I am only a bit ashamed to say so.

When rugby league eventually dies and merges with Union it will be a great day for rugby.

League is just a nuckle headed game in which you bash your way foward "run straight, get tackled, get up and play the ball, run straight, get tackled, get up and play the ball, run straight....." While rugby union is far more flowing skillful game.

The sooner league is dead and buried the better!
Posted by EasyTimes, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 11:30:56 AM
Rugby Union was always the upper crust game. Played in the 'public' schools in England it regarded anyone who had ever played League as a pleb don't you know, gad sir what a bounder. Nowadays in Australia Union has the advantage that many of the pollies and the wealthy are from 'private' schools. As a migrant from the south of England - where until very recently no League is played, I soon learnt what a great game RL is. On occassions I watch a few minutes of Union. God, what a bore. Slow motion passing, feeble tackling, inadequate reward for a try, over reward for a dropped goal, kick the ball out and get it back again. Give me League please. By the way, has anyone else noticed that in the 'Australian'they always give the crowd numbers for League club games, but never Union club games in Sydney or Brisbane for example. I would love to know what the attendances are.
Poor old Easy times, he thinks League is bash straight up the middle all the time. Yes there is that, but there is far more flowing play than there is in Union. As a matter of interest, how many tries are, on average scored in a club or State Union game and how many are scored in a club or state League game.
Posted by eyejaw, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 2:09:41 PM
My son, now 19, was forced to play union at school. Already a very competitive League player, I watched him trying to work out what the whole objective of Union was - besides throwing yourself onto a pile of squirming boys - kicking the ball out when it made no sense at all - and trying to work out why the ball was being wrucked when there were thousands of acres of field to run the ball.

He soon gave up calling for the ball from his back line position and when it did arrive it was often too late to make any inroad into the opposition territory. It made no sense to him and even less to me
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 5:10:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rugby Union, Rainier, is about the physical domination of your opponent, whether by muscle or skill. Typical macho whether working class or not. It's that simple. After that occurs one team scores points and wins.

I discouraged my kids from team sports. Too many kids find too many places to hide in those games and individual effort isn't paramount ... say like in swimming, tennis, music or the arts.

I watch union but enjoy the diversity of league and 'real' football.

Good on your son for having a go ... and I don't think he should be forced to play if he didn't find it suitable.
Posted by keith, Saturday, 2 August 2008 8:30:12 PM
Maybe those people who think matches should be won by "Brute force and ignorance" should stick to League and let the ones with a few more brains and can appreciate the subtleties of the game, play Union.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Sunday, 3 August 2008 11:34:28 PM
VK,

You've never been in a lineout, scrum, ruck or maul.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 7 August 2008 4:24:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy