The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jail for holding a union BBQ? > Comments

Jail for holding a union BBQ? : Comments

By John Passant, published 30/7/2008

'Where they jail someone for striking, it's a rich man's country yet.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
In defense of the trade union movement I will expand on that 19 year old.
He is a trainee, used as a laborer just as much as any other.
His award, shame on us all, is $9.60 an hour.
He gets an over award payment of $3 an hour.
His workmates get $12.60 an hour plus an over award payment of $5 an hour.
Ordinary time $12.6 and $18.60
On overtime only the award was paid $9.60 and $12.60
Time and one half?
no more than single time!
Double time?
$19.20 and $25.20.
Not a shonky firm one of our premium ones!
Such is the daily work of unions not war just a request for fairness.
these people now get proper loaded rates on overtime only because of union action.
this very day it will be made clear a 19 year old can serve his country and vote ,that working side by side do exactly the same for that wage is unfair.
yet some still think unions only go on strike?
No threats no stop work meetings just sit down and ask his boss for a fair go mate.
He will get it most but not all see the wrongness of this.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 31 July 2008 6:23:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly that is interesting. Not even a 'living' wage.

What is ironic is that it is exactly this type of behaviour as outlined in the article, that led to the establishment and growth of the union movement. The only thing that will obviate the need for unions is fair treatment, safe working conditions and fair wages. And dare I say it, some innovative development that would see consultation (inclusion)of 'labour' in aspects of corporate decision making.

When will business and governments work out that 'inclusion' rather than alienation has the potential to be the most powerful tool in business.

Don't see that happening anytime soon. Unions need to be smarter and get their collective acts together too.

Still waiting to see if Labor keeps to their election promise to roll back WorkChoices and exactly what it is that they propose as a replacement.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 31 July 2008 9:37:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pelican in my personal opinion, you are quite right.
The youth I highlighted is one of 4, we must never except such unfairness.
Unions however are not dead.
I am full of hope that younger leadership, bright and focused will lead some unions to the new direction that is needed.
Constant change is constant improvement.
However some do not understand change just has to come, more change for some unions than others.
I remain interested in current IR directions both state and federal.
Like it or not without changed direction and leadership NSW is headed for many years of conservative government.
The effect that may have on federal government IR policy's will be interesting.
No evidence exists that this unionist even swore, he seems to have committed no crime, yet he is likely to be sent to prison?
Human rights?
If he was anyone other than who he is this country would be up in arms at the stupidity of this.
Julia 10 years ago you would have been his lawyer, please do not light this fire.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 August 2008 6:55:01 AM
The CFMEU website for more information on Noel Washington and the campaign against the ABCC (as well as a range of other union issues) is:

http://www.cfmeu.asn.au/
Posted by Passy, Friday, 1 August 2008 4:07:10 PM
There is NO POSSIBLE justification for the existence of such unbelievably draconian laws. And no justification for the current government to have not already repealed them.

Howard may be gone, but parts of his putrid legacy linger on.

I am concerned that the ABCC with it's unbelievably SS-like powers has been retained to use as a bludgeon against what is one of the most active sectors of trade unionism, in anticipation of mass retalitation against more than a decade of supression.

These laws have no place in a supposedly free country and I am disturbed that they have not already been consigned to the dustbin of history.
Posted by Fozz, Saturday, 2 August 2008 9:23:49 PM
I understand that the ACT ALP conference a weekend or two ago unanimously called on Rudd and Gillard to abolish the ABCC immediately.

I have been told the vote for the motion included 3 sitting Federal MPs, Annette Ellis, Bob McMullan and Kate Lundy.

I wonder if they will do anything about it? Maybe worthwhile for some budding journalist out there to pursue. I might chase it up myself.
Posted by Passy, Sunday, 3 August 2008 4:42:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy