The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Polygamy: lust or love > Comments

Polygamy: lust or love : Comments

By Ayub Maftoon, published 18/7/2008

There is an element hypocrisy in Western society when it comes to polygamy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Quote "...hundreds of Muslim MEN were killed. Consequently, a large number of Muslim widows and girls were left without husbands or potential husbands. Therefore, as a solution to the problem of widows, orphans and unmarried girls...'

Polyagamy is a process of protecting women, or response to existing oppression of men (can you imagine no worse oppression than being expected to fight and die in war? A burden that is only expected of males)

There are virtually equal numbers of boys and girls born. So, for every second-wife, there is a man who is probably going to die young as a virgin.

What polygamy tells young men is that unless you are powerfull and rich, then you will remain childless - effectively the Male Eunuch!

The situation for girls is much better. Regardless of who you are and how attractive/well-connected you are, you will be protected , have a family, and watch your children grow up!

Watch your children grow up, compared to death? Which would you choose?

Because the maths means that for every second-wife, there is a un-wed male.

How do societies go-on being polygamous? Well, basically, the math only works if many men are either killed (and that partly explains the violence of the polygamous world), or you are too poor to support a family. So, put another way, poor women live and enjoy their families, poor men die alone.

Polygamy is male oppression, or more correctly, a society of three castes, or three classes.

1: an tiny elite of powerfull men, supporting several wives

2: All women are proteted in a sort-of comfortable a middle class; All protected, fed, clothed and able to enjoy watching their children grow.

3: a slave-class of oppressed men, too poor to support families, used as cannon-fodder in a violent society, who die alone.

Tell you what, I'm male, but given these choices, I'd rather be a woman!

In summary
There are three classes of people:
1: at the top powerfull men, who sometimes oppress
2: In the guilded cage, comfortable, protected women
3: opressed, powerless men.

PartTimeParent@pobox.com
www.fathers4equality-australia.org
Posted by partTimeParent, Monday, 21 July 2008 2:59:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a very puzzling piece.

I am sure that it might be in some way relevant to Muslims - I note that it is primarily directed at Irfan Yusuf - but I can't help thinking that it is entirely wasted on anyone else.

It illustrates, yet again, how religion should be kept out of government in this country.

It should not matter a fig whether an individual decides to have one, two or many wives, so long as that activity does not impinge upon the state. It should not be up to the state to mandate a limit on wives, any more than they should determine the number of children - of either sex - that a couple should have.

But since our laws - particularly in the area of welfare - were designed around monogamy, a single spouse should be the limit of the law's reach. This would also apply to same-sex couples - a limit of one partner each, please.

If you are able to afford ten wives and three dozen kids, the best of luck to you. You'll be nagged into an early grave, but that's your decision.

But don't expect this activity to be in any way state-funded.

Doesn't seem too hard to me.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 21 July 2008 4:24:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I prefer one wife only because of the love and respect I have for my one wife, and the fact that I need no more. I am Australian and a descendent from the original non convict settlers, however I choose to live in another country where there are approximately 5 times the population of Australia, and their cultural beliefs were aged and before OZ. The cultural practices here are that of polygamy, but with a difference. From my observations, the women don’t seem to mind.

It is usual here where if the husband becomes a bit fresh with his No.1 wife, she will back his bag and lunch, and send him to his girlfriend for a spell. When giving invitations for any function, one must spell out exactly the husband’s accompanying format.

I guess what I am saying is that when Governments, and all their many and various agencies try to control families, nothing will settle into any satisfactory routine where men are just that, and women are the warm wonderful, loving, and nurturing creatures they were meant to be. If they are happy to share a man – who cares?

I might also add that where I live, there is no Family Court, no Child Support, no Domestic Violence, no child care places, no old age homes etc. All this and more is taken care of by strong families with quite a cultural difference to anything even thought of by Australian Government. No Family Court Judge here is able to be swayed by expensive legal experts, and all family difficulties are settled by family elders who have an intimate knowledge of the people involved. Here, there is no divorce allowed for by law.

Reference to the modern world, or society, has me smiling when I willingly live in an old culture with all modern amenities like fast broadband, and more and better medicines than are available in Australia. I also live in predominantly a strong Catholic society where polygamy is practiced as something routine, and it all works.
Posted by Poncan, Monday, 21 July 2008 7:30:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amusing that "love" is mentioned in relation to Islamic polygamous marriages when few are based on love in the Muslim world. Most first marriage partners are selected by the parents, with no romance involved. It's likely lust is more involved in subsequent marriages than love, too.

Suggestions that gender imbalances will be "fixed" by polygamy are ridiculous. As has been pointed out by others, some women are gay and don't need or want a male partner (and unlike Muslim countries are allowed to follow their chosen lifestyle). Indeed, a proportion of men are gay and don't need or require female partners. The Islamic treatment of sex means that in many countries, young boys are preyed on because there are no females available.
Posted by viking13, Monday, 21 July 2008 10:02:00 PM
Poncan, please let us know where you are so that we may join you in this Utopia.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 11:00:50 PM
David,

Please contact me on my direct email billmorrisbillmorris@yahoo.com for answers.
Posted by Poncan, Wednesday, 23 July 2008 11:18:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy