The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reserve may face a surge in wages > Comments

Reserve may face a surge in wages : Comments

By Henry Thornton, published 6/5/2008

With an over-heated economy and powerful demand for labour, a wages surge would in times past be under way by now.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I don't accept the union's argument for a so-called "catch up." This implies that their wages have not kept pace with inflation, but this is not true. Based on National Accounts data, real wages grew by over 20% during Howard's term. More recently, the Labour Price Index increased by 4.2% in 2007 while CPI increased by only 3%.

But all that may change next week. The most recent CPI shows annualised inflation at 4.2% (to March q 2008) but the March q LPI will not be released until next Wednesday and average weekly earnings data on Thursday. I expect there will be a lot of attention on how they compare to the current inflation rate. With the Budget release on Tuesday, it could be a very entertaining week.
Posted by ed_online, Friday, 9 May 2008 8:46:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is true across many industries outside the resource sector.

Living in a resource town and knowing both resource and non-resource sector workers, I can assure you that wages outside the boom have not kept pace with inflation. Statistics surrounding wages are often skewed because it is not possible to interveiw everyone - the high wages of resource sector workers and skilled tradies (and CEO's who are considered highly paid workers) are all rolled into the stats and serve to bump up the average.

Will argue later - Vicar of Dibley is on.
Posted by Fozz, Saturday, 10 May 2008 8:28:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy