The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tapping the reservoir: languages at school > Comments

Tapping the reservoir: languages at school : Comments

By Joe Lo Bianco, published 9/5/2008

Australia is one of the most successful multilingual and multicultural countries in the world: we should be tapping in to this valuable resource.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Bravo!

"Continuous, articulated and compulsory" and "high academic standards at all times" - exactly!

Australians must stop finding excuses for avoiding the compelling task at hand. It is absurd that so many bemoan the time / resources needed, while entertaining an unwitting insult against all of us by saying that it is all too hard.

I applaud Jo Lo Bianco's emphasis on the inherent but neglected and wasted resources. The matter of standards and implied call for strong leadership here are commendable too. Why not return a standard of "one European, one Asian" for language curricula, then we can be free of both defeatism and the Esperantists' distraction?
Posted by mil-observer, Friday, 9 May 2008 11:38:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A very useful summation of an urgent national priority. Building bilingual language capability through the education system is as important an act of nation-building as the Snowy Scheme.
Posted by Mercurius, Friday, 9 May 2008 1:07:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do agree very much that being bilingual has many advantages. And parents can have bilingual children even if they both have the same native language. Esperanto is a language that can be learnt when you start being pregnant and that you can master well enough by the time your baby is born. My parents had different native languages so I learnt French and German from birth and was introduced to Esperanto only at the age of 6.
I do think that Esperanto would be the ideal first foreign language to teach. It doesn't take too much time, it boosts children's self-esteem , helps in the study of further languages, opens up to lots of different cultures and not just one like it would be the case if Japanese is chosen. Starting with an easy language creates a love for languages.
PS I have a LOTE teaching certificate specifically for Esperanto awarded by the University of NSW.
Posted by nicolee, Friday, 9 May 2008 8:31:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One day all languages bar English will go the way of Latin. There is a reason for English becoming the world language - and it is because the problems of the world are more efficiently solved if we can all communicate with each other.

Efficiency and not sentiment is the name of the game. Our engineers would not be very productive if there were 100 different ways of doing calculus.
Posted by healthwatcher, Saturday, 10 May 2008 3:01:57 PM
Healthwatcher - what a sad comment on cultural diversity. I doubt you are correct. Gaelic (the language of my ancestors) speakers are on the rise again. Yes, many people would consider it utterly useless but it has an immense heritage that people now wish to preserve. Other languages in danger of being lost are being preserved.
The understanding we would lose would be immense. Many Gaelic proverbs alone are worthy of preservation - and not just in English translation. Or what about the poetry of someone like Pablo Neruda? The original Spanish is often immensely powerful stuff. Or try the philosophy of someone like Hammarskjold. Auden admits in the introduction to Markings that it was an enormous task and not altogether satisfactory.
Translation always loses something of the original. It's a sort of incomplete theft.
Posted by Communicat, Saturday, 10 May 2008 5:04:41 PM
Great piece Joe, particularly the bit about our littlies having to "unlearn" something and then there being a need for massive funds to get them doing it again...

The commentary about all languages going the way of Latin is an interesting one...and there is a fundamental misconception here: Latin didn't die, it spawned all of the Romance languages AND it continued to have an ecclesiastical role in Europe long after it was no longer a means of daily communication...the point is that ENGLISH is more likely to end up "doing a Latin" and refracting into many other linguistic forms precisely because it will be spoken by people who don't abandon their own languages...this will do exactly what Joe has said and leave the monolingual monocultural anglophones behind...

P.S. Calculus is a Latin word...
Posted by matjabsa, Monday, 12 May 2008 2:55:50 PM
Yep English is already going the way of Latin. Didnt GB Shaw say something along the lines of America and England being seperated by the same language?
As for calculus I thought he was the rather confused scientist of Tin Tin fame.
Posted by BAYGON, Monday, 12 May 2008 3:23:13 PM
Exactly Joe.
Language is heritage, and no amount of 'cultural awareness' education enables us to enter the mindset of the speaker of another language like learning that language.
To retain the language of our forefathers strengthens the family links but just learning a different language gives us a better grasp of our own, a wider window on the world and learning skills that last through life.
Language studies should be, as in many European countries, compulsory and rigorous.
Posted by Found Objects, Wednesday, 14 May 2008 9:08:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy