The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Can't make ends meet' syndrome > Comments

'Can't make ends meet' syndrome : Comments

By Steven French, published 17/4/2008

Big house, big car, big TV, big mortgage? And you can't make ends meet?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
I agree with the article somewhat. I used to scoff at people who said I was so lucky to travel the world, when I was a backpacker and I knew full well they had more money than me and more than enough money to do exactly what I was doing.

Money is all about priorities, so crying poor is silly. The phrase 'Time Poor' is just ridiculous to me. Everyone has 24 hours. How many of those hours you decide to use for different things is up to you and your wants in terms of standard of living. Well for most people.

But there is always an element of snobbery in these sorts of articles. A lot of people cant understand that when you earn stuff all, and you don't have great intelligence or education and you see your prospects aren't the best, you might as well buy that plazma TV to immerse yourself in sport/movies and buy that packet of cigarettes or case of beer to make your life a little more enjoyable. Just like buying a lottery ticket is buying some hope. The rich never understand these things. Or perhaps they do, and make their money from encouraging the poor to indulge in these persuits and make sure they never realise they are being swindled.

I do love how Plazma TV's have become a symbol of what the rich think the poor don't deserve or aren't worthy of. How dare they be poor and still have a plazma TV? It's outrageous!
Posted by Usual Suspect, Tuesday, 22 April 2008 3:25:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Johncee1945 “The usual railing against the poor by the right wing, from those who are usually doing very well - on the backs of workers.”

Ah the first of the leftie apologist rants of the replies.

Eh-by-gum, Solidarity Brothers, bring on the revolution, where no man or woman will be allowed to work for their own benefit!

Except, too much "solidarity" results in constipation.

I agree with the earlier posters and Steven French.

Anyone who cannot manage their domestic budget does not deserve to impose their personal pain of the rest of us.

I have a modest house and mortgage and a credit card which I pay off every month.

I live well within my means and can cover a period of many months without income because of it, such is the nature and risks of my sort of work.

We are free to please ourselves. We need, if anything, to defend that freedom. Better the risk of financial insecurity than the dead hand of government directing what are presently personal discretionary decisions.

Keep government small, impotent, even.

No one was ever “enriched”, materially or spiritually by surrendering their individual rights or their individuality to the state, except possibly the intellectually retarded

Tony Ryan “By the way, the TRB (Tariff Restoration Bloc) is an independent single issue conglomerate of organisations and individuals, many of whom probably disagree on almost everything else.”

So just a bunch of retard “protectionists”… seems to me you don’t like yourself much. Hardly the best advertisement for selling your ideas but seems you are so set against selling anything, you think we should all return to the village and weave hair shirts from the produce of the family sheep.

Adam Smith view on division of labour was challenged by the luddites.

TRB is no different to same shortsighted, small minded “luddite” sense of constipation and resistance to change.

Usual suspect, if you are the same fella who used to log on here as “the usual suspect” then welcome back. If you are not, welcome anyway.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 24 April 2008 4:20:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy