The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Overruling religious sensitivities > Comments

Overruling religious sensitivities : Comments

By Muhammad Hussain, published 16/4/2008

Freedom of opinion and expression. How important are they as values to those of us in western, democratic societies?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
OK. I'll bite. The usual anti-Muslim rubbish, as shown by the nonsensical posters before me.

There is a mad Christian ideologue in charge of the White House. He represents a much greater threat to world peace than any Muslim.
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 1:05:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr. Right, Being too reasonable is a habit of mine :-) For your question, if a prisoner smears faeces over the walls of their own cell to make a statement, do you think the best response is to do nothing at all? I rather suspect after a few nights in a faeces-stained cell they'll think about cleaning off their statement themselves.

Runner, Principled people on the left, right and centre of politics condemned the RRTA because it was about censorship on the basis of thin skin. However, in other discussions here you have supported censorship. Did you not suggest in a previous thread suggest that people who practise abortions, teach that we "came from apes" and teach the truth of global warming should be jailed. And you have the audicity to call others hypocrites? I suggest you have a good look at your own work.

Passy, Whilst your comment may be true, that doesn't contradict the issue being discussed here. Indeed, if we do not defend free expression both here and overseas then we are guaranteed to end up with terrorists, both state-sponsored and otherwise.
Posted by Lev, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 1:29:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lev,

Look again. I did not ask a question about anything, including crap on walls.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 1:57:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article - I'd pretty much agree there. I dismiss it when Christians whinge about critiques of their religion, but I do appreciate the fact that they're unlikely to react with violence.

Freedom of speech is very important, regardless of which faith is being criticised. So yes, I do appreciate honest criticism of Islam, just as I'd like to see those who wish to defend it, to be free to defend it.

Though it does get up my nose when people play the 'my religion's better than yours game' or dismiss entire religions as 'evil.' Though the beauty of free speech is being able to refute these other views - and that's what's most important of all.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 2:18:21 PM
Mr Right, I might ask what can we gain by preaching more hate on Islam right now, but only making more who will take over from bin Laden?

Surely there must be still a way we can manage some sort of peaceful negotiation with the Muslims, especially as it is so desperately needed?

Cheers - BB, WA
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 2:26:02 PM
We are supposed to be a secular country so as to not allow this bs to happen. Yet our government rewrote our constitutions some years ago to deny the rights of gay people to marry like anyone else. That is purely a religious agenda. Also, our current censorship laws and the new internet censorship that is on it's way, are almost purely religious motivatation. This is because of christians, christianity and catholicism and every other variation of it in Australia. Secularism is somewhat of a myth, but we are writing laws that only christians would lobby for.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 3:22:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy