The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > SBS sells itself short > Comments

SBS sells itself short : Comments

By Darce Cassidy, published 13/3/2008

While advertisements have brought in extra money to SBS, much of it seems to be going to the kind of programs found on commercial stations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I think you are half right, Mr. Right.

I agree that a significant proportion of what is on TV (all TV, not just the commercials) is rubbish. Although I think there is slightly less rubbish on the ABC.

The point is that if they are financed differently, and run differently, it is likely to be different rubbish, and different valuable material.

You like books, as I do. But then there's a lot of rubbish in books. I couldn't say if it was 70% or 90%, but I'm sure it could fill a few libraries.

What we need is diversity, while advertisers like mass appeal, safety and, while they don't insist on total conformity, they are nervous about ideas that might be too challenging.
Posted by enverhoxa, Thursday, 13 March 2008 4:51:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LOVE. I adore SBS and the ABC. My concern is the Web, how it appears or that these networks may becoming over enthusiastic about their multi media design and beginning to "race" in front of the horse.

Your network security must be in the way you present your content NOT the technology. Like a GOOD FILM one ought to "never" be aware of the camera movement... right?

I have attempted to comment on both sites. Given I haven't had feedback I will air the concern as a person living in a remote area who uses these web sites more than TV. My lead is documentary, news reports and News radiio.

1. Multi-media is a good thing but I warn webmeisters not to follow the route of over enthusiastic (careless) IT "developers". There is too much fang-dangle in the industry at the moment and going "digital" ought to be a benefit not a dis-benefit to users who are already coping with an incredible amount of mix-matching systematic software processes aided by unaccountable IT rip-off sellers and service providers. This industry needs a clean-up!

2. The SBS site does not work across the board. The buttons cut out frequently, there is no NEWS as there once was and as I tried to join the said "kids at risk forum" last week.... nothing worked regardless of using all my five browsers on my Mac. Having said this I adore the programs on SBS TV. Excellent Work except for 'news topia'. (Sorry I find the entire presentation "cocky and mostly offensive.)

3. ABC radio needs to be careful not to loose all that it has earned 'local' over the last few years. You are at a turning point where you will be abusing the term "LOCAL" if you continue to centralise in the ways that you are over the last week. I.e.: FNQLD. Especially on the guest book... the only voice we actually have in RURAL and REMOTE regions. I.e.: Last night the FNQLD page aired Steve Austin ON AIR instead of the wonderful Katrina Davidson. This is what happens with centralized operators.

Continued-below.
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 13 March 2008 10:41:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
4. ABC’s new regional pages YELL and CONFINE us to FRAMES. I advise you look at the success of the ABC Homepage design – if anything has to be rejuvenated or changed.

5. Ask any authentic artist or farmer, (regional) and you will find the environmental header (nature) clashes with the “primary colors” that are dis-placing us to their frames. This site needs to reflect the audience. I suggest you are infringing on our “tropical” sustainable wanting “identity” drive. The design clashes with our authentic and forces us to believe un-naturally that we are part of something that we are not…. “Gimmicks”.

6. Few people in regional areas and especially in Cape York have access to IT shops; the funds to keep up with the IT race and reference to the technologies the pages infer we have. This is the crux and why I advocate that developers themselves need to stop trying to prove themselves and “communicate” or at least allow us… those that try to encourage others, to “communicate.

7. The future of the website must include the RADIO. All program producers and presenters are doing a tremendous job. Especially in the ways they are working with material, stimulating to open minds in regional areas. I suggest you use a more gentle approach on the regional websites. Remember you are targeting a new audience of young and old, literate and non-literate. We all love the technology and like your talk back hosts, you need to make that process more natural for us to engage.

8. The ABC Home front page is near perfect. I believe the old format for regional areas had more credit than you give it. The improvement as a user merely required a better link between Bush Telegraph/Backyard connections. In truth this is the only real interchange, commutation, exchange needing revise or reconstruction. The multi-media is a natural element can exist alongside…as it does on the main Home page.

Again I thank all the staff of ABC and SBS and the talkback audience, who ALL keep me essentially in tune.

I hope this helps.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 13 March 2008 10:49:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"About 80% of television on ALL networks, including public broadcasting, is utter rubbish.

There has been an increase in inanity on the commercial channels and on the ABC, which is aping the commercials. As this has been happening, I have been watching less and less TV, and reading more and more books.

If people, as the majority do, continue watching crap they will continue to get crap."

Can't argue with that. Stop watching. If people had a migration away from television (a big if i know), they would have to start listening.
Posted by Steel, Thursday, 13 March 2008 11:06:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The SBS is just another TV Station. Like every station it has it's share of crappy & good programs. We have discussed this here before & didn't come to any conclusion other than a lot of TV is utter crap. Where the SBS does differ a little is it's insane saturation promo playing. Other channels too are guilty of it but then, they don't shout from the roof tops that they offer better & quality television.
It's on saturday morning when the SBS shines with world news whilst all the others play cartoons & mindless music videos.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 15 March 2008 10:02:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy