The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Selling out celebrities > Comments

Selling out celebrities : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 22/2/2008

Whatever happened to the real news? It now seems to come with helping or two of what can only be described as trivia or gossip.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
The gulf gets wider between the educated who consume news from the ABC and broadsheets and the rest who get their input from the commercials, radio talkback and tabloid papers. The level of dumbing down that has occured I think over the last decade of commercial media is just incredible- the focus on so called celbrities is just part of the whole trashification. Much of the population now has no regular access to information that is basically objevtive and intelligent- perhaps its a consipiracy to keep the plebs dumb and compliant. It must be really depressing to have to work as a journalist at the moment.
Posted by pdev, Monday, 25 February 2008 3:14:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pdev,

Y'know, I hadn't thought about it before it terms of the gulf getting wider...but you're right: it is. Markedly so.

Ten years ago when I went back to Oz after a long time away I made a whole new group of friends. As is usual, one tends to make the deepest friendships with those who are on the same page, so to speak. We went through a lot of ups and downs together and shared our lives, but I had noticed, with one or two, that there were gaps creeping in.

Now that we are communicating only by e.mail those gaps have, in some cases, become yawning chasms: their news is of celebs and immigrant outrages and, now that almost two years has gone by, often of people of whom I have never heard. They have started expressing the kinds of views that, had I heard them ten years ago, would have caused me to avoid such people like the plague.

I've actually spent a lot of time mulling over the fact that I seem to be growing away from a couple of people I once held so dear - and vice versa. It wasn't until I read your post that I realised exactly what was happening.

What a sad (and angry) conclusion to arrive at.
Posted by Romany, Monday, 25 February 2008 6:35:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy