The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Equity among students > Comments

Equity among students : Comments

By Jieh-Yung Lo, published 14/2/2008

While we talk of the benefits of having international students studying in our classrooms, their needs are often ignored.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
“Victoria has over 100,000 international students who have contributed greatly to Victoria’s multicultural society by offering their skills, experiences and showcasing their original culture through active community involvement.”

They have been well contributed TO via back-door immigration and a lifestyle and economy that they wouldn’t have had in their countries of origin.

“They bring with them diverse cultures that enriches the Australian experience.”

A vapid statement. If diverse cultures do enrich the Australian experience, that has all been done. All these people do now is add to an already unsustainable population.

And enough of the “enriching” business please! It has been done to death and means nothing whatsoever in real terms.

Overseas students contribute to the coffers of Australian institutions; no doubt about that. After they have contributed, they should return to their own countries we they are needed more than they are here.

The suggestion that Australian should subsidise foreigners who apply to come here as students is insulting and typically selfish of these people who think they are God’s gift to Australia.

We have paid enough for ‘cultural diversity’ as it is.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 14 February 2008 10:46:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh,
I am not entirely sure if your post was intended to be some sort of joke.
International students earn the right to live in Australia by demonstrating their intelligence and their ability to work really hard.
In a way, we Aussies have decided to import our middle-class and to make them pay us for their education.
International students have language skills which will be of huge value to Australia.
And will save lazy Aussie kids from the bother of learning Asian languages.
Aussie students get an interesting insight into other cultures by studying alongside International students.
The only reservation I would have is that it can be difficult to understand International students when they give a seminar presentation.
And it can seem to be a bit of a waste of time, sitting listening to an incomprehensible presentation.
But I certainly can't see why international students should not get the usual student concessions on public transport.
Posted by Dealing With The Mob, Thursday, 14 February 2008 11:44:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author of this article clearly does not understand the raison d'etre of the international student - that of the docile cash cow (une vache d'argent?), ready to be milked whenever and wheresoever we choose. Concessions on public transport? Don't be ridiculous - just keep on bringing those foreign dollars over. Can't speak much english? No worries, the jingle jangle of your liquid assets say far more than any basic linguistic proficiency ever could.
Posted by sisyphean, Thursday, 14 February 2008 11:57:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia's education export is a product international students pay for. In paying for such product, it is reasonable to expect "after sales service" from Education Providers and the Government, such as concession on public transport. Concession should be INCLUDED in the price they pay for the produce - education.

Those who do not agree to this - don't expect after sales support next time you buy your new computer, your new phone or technical support for your internet connection!

As an Aussie myself, I value international student's contributions to Australia. Their presence has certainly enriched my life and broadened my view of the world!
Posted by Wesa, Thursday, 14 February 2008 12:30:27 PM
Once again an important topic has been hijacked by Leigh.

Instead of reading [for example] the professional opinions of people who actually work in cultural diverse educational settings, discussion begins with the childish and bigoted ravings of a lunatic.

Why is he allowed to comment at all?

This hardly lives up to the reputation of rigorous and interesting debate that befits the institutional reps of the Uni of Melbourne, QUT, Brisbane Institute or the QLGA whose logos' adorn these pages.

Tighten the rules that govern comment contribution or simply get rid of the lunatics from OLO!
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 17 February 2008 6:18:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy