The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The tipping point > Comments

The tipping point : Comments

By James Cumes, published 25/1/2008

Causes and mitigation of impending calamity: it was never a question of if there would be a bust, only a question of when and what form it would take.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I am glad that the so-called economic boom of the last 10 years is being revealed for the bubble it truly was.
I hope also the radical version of capitalism is seen to be as flawed as radical communism.
Perhaps we can proceed with Progressive economics again?
Posted by Ozandy, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 9:38:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Dr. Cumes,

Gibson's Paradox identified that when central banks set interest rates below the rate of inflation (i.e. a negative real interest rate) the price of gold will rise. If the real rate of interest is negative enough, the price of gold will explode as investors seek protection against the effective dilution of their buying power.

A rising gold price forces the interest rates higher after a period of excessive creation of money by our central banks.

Interest rates can potentially be forced to a very high level to prevent the collapse of paper (fiat) money if the abuse of savers by central banks occurs through running excessively negative real interest rates.

We currently have a U.S. real interest rate of more that -7% virtually dictating the explosion of the price of gold and the failure of paper currency. Australia, Canada, and the Euro zone have all been running similar abusive monetary policy but deliberately understating their inflation calcuations and intervening in the gold market to distort perception of their actions.

Inflation is not caused by high interest rates. Inflation is caused by the creation of too much money (diluting its buying power) which initially appears to stimulate economic activity but really results in speculative bubbles (want to buy a house?) and economic distortion followed by rising consumer goods prices.

After a period, the price of all goods starts to rise and the strongly rising price of gold forces interest rates higher until the inflation or dilution of the currency is abandoned - or until the currency is abandoned.

Sincerely,

David Jensen.

info[@]jensenstrategic.com

Please see:

http://www.safehaven.com/article-9183.htm

http://www.safehaven.com/article-9198.htm
Posted by David Jensen, Thursday, 31 January 2008 2:11:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think there is a quite intellectual revolution in thinking going on concerning Herman E Daily`s book. Economics, Ecology, Ethics Essays toward a steady-state economy.
JC
Posted by J C, Friday, 1 February 2008 8:12:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Dr Cumes
This is my first post and this is way I see what is happening to the global economy through the eyes of an average Australian.
Breif background,Electrician working in the mining industry,fly in fly out ,own my home,married one child.
I live on the south coast NSW high unemployment and low wages.The amount of debt people are in in my small community is staggering.
The amount of debt the people I work with is even more staggering.Alot or if not all have had so called financial advice.
The debts are from 400K to 1.4million paying interest only.These are huge debts for the average punter
So I would believe this would be typical around Australia or close to it.
Adds in the media, no doc home loans , We will lend you 100% of the value of the property, The banks rejected you come to us we will give you the money for your new
car.Buy a new plasma tv no deposit no interest and no repayments till 2010.Lets borrow some money on the equity in our house and negitivley gear some shares or
even better lets get a margin loan.What about a line of credit.I would like to start a buisness, do you have any equity mate ? Yep, not a problem.Your asset rich cash
Cash poor,come and see us we will give it to you, reverse mortgage alright.What are the interest rates on all of these to people who probably can not afford it anyway.
Sorry almost forgot the credit card.
So when the economy slows and it will, unemploymemt rises,I suspect we will have our own sub prime crisis.
So what has driven this economic boom the world has been having? Credit in the west.
So are we about to experience economic armageddon? I believe so.
We are so lucky to have such good prudential regulators.

Sorry about the spelling,spell chech is missing Cabtrack.
Posted by Cabtrack, Saturday, 2 February 2008 3:33:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy