The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A time to spend ... > Comments

A time to spend ... : Comments

By Fred Argy, published 21/1/2008

With an impending economic slow-down there could be a need to revisit contra-cyclical fiscal policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Fred” The big challenge with infrastructure spending is that projects with sound benefit-cost ratios have to be ready to implement quickly “

I am pleased you made the observation to “sound benefit-cost ratios” no one, except those immediately employed, and they only whilst employed benefits otherwise.

Certainly something which is best pursued, counter cyclically, during non-inflationary demand times, when the private sector is less likely to compete for scarce skills and government joining the market would only increase pressure on wages inflation.

However, your further comment “and they should be capable of being cut off or slowed down when the economy recovers.”

I would observe, usually the “benefits” are only attained when the project is completed. Spend at the 75% of the effort / expense point and the usual “benefit” is zero.

So having made the observations above I would ask, could you name some of these “infrastructure projects” which you speak of
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 5 February 2008 12:37:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy