The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees raped to assert power and control > Comments

Refugees raped to assert power and control : Comments

By John E. Carey, published 15/1/2008

One of the most degrading and harmful crimes committed against refugees is rape.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
“Suan’s decision to have her baby - a baby forced upon her by a man she didn’t know and didn’t love - turned out to be a good one. A real lesson in the value of human life and our ability to overcome hardship.”

No John – her decision to have the baby was not a good decision just because the son ended up being productive member of society. It was a good decision because it was her decision. It would have been an equally good a decision to go ahead with the abortion it that had been her decision. It is not a “Lesson in the value human life and our ability to overcome hardship”.

Suan was, from your article, a very fortunate person to blessed with such a strong physical and mental constitution, (but, who knows what post traumatic stress she suffers that is not mentioned here) – not every one is so blessed with the strength your article suggests Suan maintains. Does that mean that those not so blessed represent a real lesion in the lack of value of life and our inability for humans to cope?

As for the value of human life - your article points out quite clearly how of little value human life is in very poor and desperate parts of the world.
Posted by Billy C, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 10:33:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great to hear of a woman who had the courage of her convictions to have her baby in such tragic circumstances. No doubt it is a decision she has never regretted.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 11:57:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner

Very presumptuous of you to assume you know the mind of this woman and that her decision to have the baby was one she never regretted – not even for a minute. All sane people have their doubts – that’s what keeps them sane
Posted by Billy C, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 12:47:10 PM
Yes, I think it's a shame this otherwise fine article includes a subtle 'trojan horse' style message about abortions.

BillyC's initial post summed up the situation admirably.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 12:58:35 PM
I have read and re-read this story.

It is a story about the experiences of women and the barbarism that can occur in times of conflict.

At least 6 men never had a chance to make it to a refugee camp and many of her relatives just dissappeared.

I also remember that after hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans that there were reports of groups of men murdering and raping women in the
convention center.
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/sep2005/lies-s30.shtml

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2005/10/24/katrina_horror/

But then some of the best selling novels contain scenes of rape and murder.
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 9:52:15 PM
I have always considered that a mind that questions and keeps in reserve a healthy dose of scepticism is one that aids in the search for truth. But one that it so fearful of having to adjust or modify that it becomes illogical in its denial is one that borders on the pathological.

That a link could be found between an article concerning an Asian refugees personal experiences and two unrelated articles concerning alleged and deliberate Government propaganda in the wake of freak weather conditions in America is demonstrably illogical.

To say that both include the words "rape" and "women" has as much bearing as to point out that both contain the words "and" and "the".

The incontrovertible fact that many novels have been written about rape and violence contains as little relevance as the statement that many novels have been written about maladjusted persons. Or about truth, or love, or courage.

I wish that the repeated use of debating forums as platforms on which to parade personal agenda/s was as marginalised as sledging, stalking and profanity. It diverts from the legitimate freedom to have a say on relevant topics and has led other contributors to leave the forum.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 1:18:08 AM
Romany: "That a link could be found between an article concerning an Asian refugees personal experiences and two unrelated articles concerning alleged and deliberate Government propaganda in the wake of freak weather conditions in America is demonstrably illogical."

Quite so, Romany. JamesH's comment was deplorable, even by his pathetic standards. On the other hand, runner's was about what we'd expect.

Of course, as men they'd know all about the experience of being raped, wouldn't they?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 3:06:46 AM
The subject of rape is a highly emotionally charged topic, CJ and stories about rape have been used as a propaganda tool, sometimes accounts are exagerrated, sometimes not.

In the past I have had inside knowledge of some stories that were published in newspapers and the facts published in the newspapers did not match the facts that I had knowledge of. So I am extremely sceptical of any details that are especially written to be emotive.

The author is using anecdotal evidence, which may be true, may be embellished slightly or a lot.

And for your information CJ, some one I know was raped and I wanted to go out and kill the person who did it. My brother knows what it is like to raped, CJ and he's a man. So some men do know what it is like to be raped CJ.

Obviously CJ you have never spoken to any male surviours of rape and sexual assault.
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 7:42:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy