The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The subterranean world of Pakistan’s byzantine politics > Comments

The subterranean world of Pakistan’s byzantine politics : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 4/1/2008

The US once again backed the wrong horse, or horses, in the form of Musharraf and the born-to-rule Benazir.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I was just wondering if the Taliban did indeed conduct the assassination of Benazir Bhutto then her promise to allow a greater infusion of US troops into her country if elected was surely as legitimate as any reason for a so called 'preventive strike' by them? Or does the term only apply to when the 'coalition' wants to invade another country?
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 5 January 2008 8:28:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sir Vivor

Stating the obvious is not a profundity. Of course they get covert support from Muslim nations such as Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia. And taking my metaphors for reality is misplaced understanding on your part. I hardly even hinted that "it's stylish" to hate America. But if you deny that failed cultures, like Islam, have a strong propensity to envy and hate cultures, like the West's, that have been successful in their human endeavors, then you need to take elementary lessons in psychology.

All your other points do not need a response as they are fizzling balloons without any cognitive energy in them to stand up to debate.

http://kotzabasis3.wordpress.com
Posted by Themistocles, Saturday, 5 January 2008 8:36:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What we have inherited from the American declared control of this 21st Century is truly a muzzled media and a consequent dumb public.

All this despite such advances in communication. Indeed is seems to have benefitted nations like China and India much more than it has done for us?
Posted by bushbred, Sunday, 6 January 2008 6:55:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
T names several countries which may or may not be supporting insurgency in Pakistan, and believes that "Of course they get covert support ..." seems good enough evidence for finger pointing. Does T think that non-sequiturs answer my questions?

Other readers may be interested in this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/washington/06terror.html?th&emc=th

Mind you, the title seems to me a bit oxymoronic:
"U.S. Considers New Covert Push Within Pakistan"

And T can wonder whether it implies an earlier, less overt Covert Push by the US. Maybe T's you-beaut website will have something incisive to add?
Posted by Sir Vivor, Sunday, 6 January 2008 9:01:43 PM
TOO OPTIMISTIC ABOUT RUDD

Bruce's picture of the Pakistani scene looks accurate enough.

I'm not as confident that the Rudd government will be any different then previous Labor and Coalition governments in NOT developing an independent Australian foreign policy that can take significant initiatives.

We are seen by most other countries as a small, insignificant country in close alliance with the US on almost all fronts. Nothing but alternative alliance building and a much larger defence force is going to change that.

The sins Bruce accuses the US of are partly our sins - as we are an incremental ally of the US in Iraq and Afghanistan. Re Iraq Rudd is merely talking of withdrawing around one third (500) of Australian forces covering that country. I'd say numbers will be increased in Afghanistan by 500 over the next couple of years as NATO numbers drop.

Rudd is shaping up as no Whitlam. Rudd's bureacratic-diplomatic training suggests he'll toe the US line while convincing some that he's different.

I wish he was different not just trendy.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 7 January 2008 12:42:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy