The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Howard: a political obituary > Comments

John Howard: a political obituary : Comments

By John Quiggin, published 2/1/2008

In the end, it was fitting both that Howard should attain great political success, and that his career should end in humiliating defeat.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
GUNNING NSW --- FREE camping

At the end of the main street in Gunning, just before the bridge (on the left), there is a shady FREE camping and picnic area with toilets, water and BBQs, etc.

It is a beautiful area beside the very pretty, and well maintained and very clean creek, and it is 100% FREE
( vans, vehicles, tents and campers etc allowed)

WARNING ..Do not use the local Caravan Park at the showgrounds as it is very sub-standard with dirty toilets and showers and the Caretaker is very anti-social and very rude.
Regards
Fred & Rita Walker
Posted by HappyAussieWanderer, Sunday, 6 January 2008 7:26:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Rainier,

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, mate. Even the ones that don't match your standard.

If you don't like it, why don't YOU bugger off?

I think the point that was being made is that CEOs are judged on performance, so why not politicians as well? I happen to believe much the same thing - Bob Carr being a particularly good case in point. Lots of strutting around the political stage and talking in a commanding deep voice but, when it came to running NSW, about as useful as a chocolate soldier in the heat. When people elect a political representative to high office they basically expect them to be CEOs of their state/country.

Get it? Not that hard is it?
Posted by RobP, Sunday, 6 January 2008 8:13:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Democratis, RobP please note- now that the so-called Hansonite Libs have swung back to their natural Party nothing must be allowed to interrupt the narrative of the left. Got it?

If the content of Kenny's truck managed to stop Howard walking down the street one morning they'd build a statue to memorialise it.
Posted by palimpsest, Sunday, 6 January 2008 8:28:51 PM
Democritus,

Ok, let’s indulge your CEO comparison just once.

Here we go -:

On the 24 of November 2007 a majority of share holders overwhelming voted against giving the CEO of Australia LTD PTY another term in office. One of their reasons given for this backlash was at his failure to recognise his own " "peccadilloes" over the past 11 years – not to mention his grotesque mishandling of labour market reform. So vehement was this anger that he even lost his own seat. How sad is that!

It’s a simple story really, I know it must be hard for you to come to terms with, but you've got to admit it’s not that complex.

May I suggest you access some grief counselling for post election trauma. I'd consult with your local branch of the Liberal party in a few months after they've gathered their senses. Poor things.

I'd stand in front of mirror and begin to say the following - soft at first and then progressively louder until you can begin to visualise the reality of the situation.

"Goodbye John. Hello Kevin"

Posted by Rainier, Monday, 7 January 2008 12:04:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that he had to come to a sticky end as he did, but I have yet to see a skerrick of evidence that he ever did one single thing in public life that could ever be seen as "great".

He clawed, stabbed, betrayed and abused everyone in his path so he could be General John Dictator War criminal and that is all he ever saw.

He was the worst PM this nation has ever had and hopefully we will never again see anyone quite so repulsive, cruel and divisive.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Monday, 7 January 2008 11:04:59 PM
Well put Marilyn.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 8 January 2008 12:55:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy