The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do we need a military alliance with anybody? > Comments

Do we need a military alliance with anybody? : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 17/12/2007

After the Rudd Government pulls us out of Iraq, can we also extract ourselves from our military relationships with the US?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Shadow minister

Tibet is not a good example. Tibet shares a common border with China and many thousands of Chinese could simply step over it. Being a theocracy dedicated to peace set the country up to be a pushover.

If Tibet had an airforce, it would have been quickly destroyed first.

Tibet is not finished with the invader. We wait and see.

The article made the point that rural Australia is collapsing. Do we worry about what might happen or what is happening right now?
Posted by healthwatcher, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 8:54:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The moment I’ve been dreading. George brought his ne’re-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida. The one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I’ll call Kinsley over at the "New Republican" and see if they will have him as a contributing author or something. That looks like easy work.

This is an extract from the diary of Ronald Reagan dated May 17, 1986."

No its not. Phony quote:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/kinsley.asp
Posted by moviesguy, Friday, 21 December 2007 3:00:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HW,

That money needs to be spent on other emotive issues is a furfe, as a military alliance allows less to be spent to provide an effective defense.

As movie guy showed, the entire article is trying to push a political agenda with neither facts nor logic.

Emotional burbling is not a sound foundation for policy.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 21 December 2007 7:33:15 AM
Shadow Minister

The article would have been chosen to be posted as it met the criteria that what goes up on OLO should stimulate contrary opinion.

If the issue is the high school curriculum [arguments which do not normally have the facts presented challenged], than it would be expected to be less emotive than an issue on old-growth forests [in which the facts are traditionally pulled out of the air].

Some articles are on issues are naturally emotive and they should not be criticised for being that way.

Moviesguy

Many quotes are repeated by people who do not check back with the original source. It would be preferable to abandon a quote rather than sit on that quote until such backing arrived. Political issues as discussed on OLO do not have to meet quantum physics precision
Posted by healthwatcher, Sunday, 23 December 2007 2:59:56 PM
HW,

While freedom of speech gives everyone the right to air their opinion, its does not negate the laws regarding libel. While not expecting "quantum physics precision" I would expect more in my 10 yr old's debate class than the tripe that Brian Holden has dished up.

Stimulating contrary opinions is no excuse for fabricating information and posting it as facts.

The same freedom of speech allows me to say in this forum that I think that the author is ethically challenged and by publishing such drivel has reliquished the right to be taken seriously.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 24 December 2007 9:49:45 AM
It appears that the extract from the Reagan Diaries appearing in this OLO article does not appear in them at all and the "quote" was an actual fantasy by an editor [Kinsley] at the New Republic written as recently June 2007.

As GWB is so disliked by many people and who are waiting in ambush, it is not surprising that once Kinsley's fantasy appeared in print in one publication it would have appeared very quickly in other publications. But now it has become independent of it source and appears genuine to anybody who reads it.

The author should only quote from a book open in front of him and not pass on a quote supposedly taken from the original book.
Posted by healthwatcher, Wednesday, 26 December 2007 1:49:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy