The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rights of the terminally ill - a cause to fight for > Comments

Rights of the terminally ill - a cause to fight for : Comments

By Angelika Minner, published 7/12/2007

The arguments against voluntary euthanasia are cheap rhetoric and religious platitudes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Thanks Bobbd for your input.
In particular for putting the finger back on the pulse of the issue.
Despite the fact that the ROTI ACT 1995 was a very strict and stringent law, with not much room for misuse/abuse it was officially overturned in March 1997.
Indeed through a very strategic and planned manoeuvre from the conservative federal Liberal backbencher Kevin Andrews. Undoubtedly strongly supported by the Right to Life Movement and the Church. I’ve have already expressed my view on this in my article.
Despite the fact that the majority of Australians are in support of Voluntary Euthanasia,
politicians are reluctant to push the agenda further, because they fear the backlash
of the Church and the Right to Life Movement. We know there is support amongst
politicians but unfortunately it ends there where the power of religion starts.
What we need are politicians who are bold enough to take the initiative
on the issue of VE.
The scenario or stage for the fight to re-instate the ROTI ACT 1995 will be
the political scene. I am confident that eventually ROTI will be re-instated.
Unfortunately this won’t happen in the near future.
I am counting particular on the baby boomers who hopefully will pressure
politicians on this issue.
Following quote from a letter to the editor in the Sydney Morning Herald,
a day after the overturn of ROTI, represents fairly accurately my
feelings and those of many others concerned:
“I don’t understand why these evangelists of their own belief systems have
the right to take away another individual’s right to end his or her own suffering.
This is the worst kind of politicking, far worse than acting out at Question Time,
making errors with expenses or jetting around on fact-finding missions.
I don’t care what “God” a politician chooses to follow, but when his belief
affects others I consider he has overstepped his already poor standing in the
community.
My heart goes out to those who are suffering and those wanting to help
within the law.” (quoted in: Killing me softly, by Dr. Philip Nitschke & Dr Fiona
Stuart, pp51).
Posted by Angelika, Saturday, 15 December 2007 10:13:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bullagal,
thanks for your comments and interesting information on VE.
I am grateful for pointing out that in those countries where voluntary euthanasia is legal, people live longer , because they are knowing that they had a control over their future. This is indeed a very important study. Unfortunately not often quoted. The findings in this study confirm my own experience with members of Exit International
Posted by Angelika, Saturday, 15 December 2007 11:18:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To all those who have an opposite view to me.

Merry Christmas. I'm going sailing. Won't be contemplating anything other than the odd 'Bushmills' and Guinness.

As a parting comment: How many of you support legalising suicide? At what point does suicide, assisted or otherwise, become euthanasia? I'd love to see all your individual answers. But beware as we all start to die on the day of our birth, and life and death as we all know contains their own agonies.
Posted by keith, Sunday, 16 December 2007 7:21:15 AM
Keith,
you should know - suicide is not illegal, ie: it is already perfectly legal to suicide.

what we want are the means to achieve it humanely - meaning legal access to the means, assistance if we are physically unable to prepare ourselves, and the ability to have doctors, loved ones or friends or others present immediately prior, during or after without incurring a lengthy prison sentence.

this is voluntary assisted euthanasia, which is currently what we want.

Both voluntary (suicide) and involuntary (murder/manslaughter?)euthanasia are currently unofficially entrenched and for many (not all -your father was "fortunate' in that) result in an extremely cruel, protracted and undignified ending. Legal permission would allow more humane methods to be used for voluntary euthanasia.

happy sailing
Carrie
Posted by Carrie_K, Sunday, 16 December 2007 10:02:25 AM
Thankyou Carrie,
I'm not sure of the legalities of suicide. But I do know physician assisted (psa) suicide is illegal.
My dad was fortunate but the morphine he received was intended to relieve his pain. That it also sent him into a final sleep was indeed a result that saved a great deal of suffering. I think you will find, and no doubt you already have, it is a widely accepted proceedure among the medical profession.

But if you look to studies in parts of the world where PAS has legal status, notably Holland, I think you'll find many pas are now involuntary. The laws were introduced in 1993 and 'loosened' in 2003. Up to 25% of cases (reported, many cases of PAS are now unreported) are showen to be involuntary and another 20% odd could have received alternative treatments.

In Australia, do you recall that woman VE campaigner in Brisbane who because of her terminal and painful case of collorectal cancer, requested and received drugs through the internet, invited her friends and family to her farewell party, took the drugs, with a small drink, had a final smoke said goodbye and slept.

Her autopsy revealed an absence of any cancer.
Posted by keith, Sunday, 16 December 2007 3:37:35 PM
There will always be cases of one off tragedies or complete ignorance's for whom ever is at fault, and some will slip through the cracks.( suicide)
Posted by evolution, Thursday, 20 December 2007 4:59:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy