The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Good parent, bad parent: private school, public school > Comments

Good parent, bad parent: private school, public school : Comments

By Leslie Cannold and Jane Caro, published 30/11/2007

When the last middle class family leaves the system, Australia will have settled for public education that provides a 'reasonable safety net' for the poor.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Coutry Gal,
These authors frequently write about parents, and I can't remember either of them ever mentioning fathers, but they normally include the word mother several times.

Parent = mother only (is their hidden meaning).

There is less likelhood of such bigots being in the private school system. Or if a mother or a father finds such bigots in a private school, then they can complain to the school about it (because they are paying money) or they have the option of taking their children out and putting them in another private school.

Unfortunately if a mother or a father finds such bigots in a public school, then normally the mother or father has very little choice but to leave their children there.

So I do have sympathy for mothers and fathers who cannot afford to have their children in a private school.
Posted by HRS, Friday, 30 November 2007 2:22:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Public schooling is very politicised in a manner beyond parental control.

l went to public school, as did my 3 siblings and have always had a bit of a chip about private schooling 'priviledge.' But l did grow up and now realise the insecurity driven sour grapes of that stance.

Parents of private school kids pay taxes too and usually a lot more than the rest of us, both in relative and nominal terms. So what if they earn more, they tip more into the community coffers.

All the kids in my family got uni degrees. Our parents, especially mum, were relentless in their push for us to do better than their immigrant selves. Two of my siblings got >90% yr12 pass and went to melb uni, then onto high flying careers earning pretty big bucks. But, they work like hell for it and trade off quality of life/balance for it.

l've seen people who went to private schools, couldnt cut the grade and got booted out. Fat fee or no, the private schools dont let the 'rubbish' through lest their status and thus pricing be effected adversely. They dont produce brighter students, they hold onto them. In my case, at uni most students were from private schools and they were all pretty normal, run of the mill types, not above average at all.

l think the impact of public versus private school education is vastly overstated. There is much, much more that impacts on child/youth development beyond schooling. Particularly the involvment, examples and lessons of the parents. They really set the standard. Sure we can blame our parents when things go badly for ourselves and when things go well, then that too is their fault.

This article is basically a mix of insecurity, hangups, inadequacy, emotional projection, envy, resentment all veiled in concern and caring.

Its basically the usual dose of Cannold solipsism.
Posted by trade215, Friday, 30 November 2007 2:38:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taxes collected go into a common pool, to provide infrastructure and public services. It is not for picking and choosing by individuals as to where their taxes paid are spent
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 30 November 2007 4:20:26 PM
Well said Trade215. If the parents encourage their kids to perform well it doesn't matter which type of school they go to, although I would give a slight shade of odds towards the public school child.

Having said that, and without wanting to be elitist, I would have to say that the majority of people from poorer areas would send their kids to public schools and a larger proportion of those would be more indifferent to their children's progress. I might get some flack for that comment, but it is based on a considerable number of years of personal observation of all socio-economic levels.

In defense of mothers, I would also have to say that in general, they are the ones who have most regard for their children's progress both at school and in society in general. Sorry fathers, that's just the way it is.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 30 November 2007 6:08:37 PM
I have seen many 'middle class' people who sweat and perhaps even bleed a little so their kids can have a 'better' education. The problem is the amount of time and effort invested in making the money to meet the cost of school fees means the children are neglected in other ways.

The divide is an artificial one that is all about social class and status.
Posted by malingerer, Friday, 30 November 2007 8:30:38 PM
The authors have hit the nail on the head. It is all about the 'mummy wars'. Sorry HRS, I'm one and speak to many other mothers. Mothers do have a very large influence on where their children end up being schooled. You have no idea how important the uniform your child wears is when you go and get those last minute items at the supermarket.

Having said that. Isn't it abysmal that the education of our children has become such a political and social status driven issue? No Runner and HRS, it is not only the left union driven teacher's union to blame.

There has been in the last couple of years a lot of talk about 'Australian values' a favourite being giving everyone a 'fair go'. What value has it to mouth these sentiments when we as a nation cannot even agree that education of this nation's children should never ever be polarized as it increasingly becoming? If anyone deserves a fair go isn't it every child?

It has absolutely nothing to do with parental 'choice'. It has everything to do with status. The deep seated resentment of a generation that didn't go to a 'privileged' private school with all the perceived benefits and now can show it can either afford to do so or show they are willing to make the 'sacrifice' their parents weren't.

It is disgraceful that in this Western democracy there is such an emphasis on private education with enormous (and growing) fees while still receiving public funds. It doesn't happen anywhere else.
Posted by yvonne, Friday, 30 November 2007 9:01:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy