The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nappy changes, oil changes, and climate change > Comments

Nappy changes, oil changes, and climate change : Comments

By Stephan Lewandowsky, published 27/11/2007

The price tag for tackling climate changes goes up every year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The oil change analogy may be at the limit of our planning horizon. Would we buy a house if we had to wait til the loan is repaid in twenty years before moving in? In the case of higher electricity prices as a result of carbon penalties it's hard to feel overjoyed. While we forego other forms of spending there will be cold snaps that seem to make a mockery of global warming. All that lovely cheap coal waiting to be burned to power our lifestyles.

I suspect the public's willingness to make carbon sacrifices is like quitting smoking only after a positive cancer diagnosis. They think their children and grandchildren will adapt or escape the worst effects.
That attitude may not change until it is too late.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 27 November 2007 10:06:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taswegian, didn't you know that from last Saturday, everyone is going to turn over a new leaf and become frugal in the way we use our resources and act in a more responsible way toward our environment by driving smaller cars, building smaller houses and having less children. Then we won't have to worry about climate change and global warming.

I wish.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 27 November 2007 10:52:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
With our prospective change of government I expect:
1. All Commonwealth cars will now be either hybrid or users will be issued with bicycles.
2. Government offices will have a look at the Melbourne council building (which is a true light on the hill) and copy.
3. Government toilets will all become composters.
4. The 'intervention' in the Northern Territory will be a world's-best-practice exemplar of solar-powered, self-powered living units for the comfort of the inhabitants and an example to the fools in mcmansions.
5. A very serious look at stupid and restrictive building restrictions in Councils.
6. Germany, GERMANY, has got people feeding power into the grid from photo-voltaic cells. We could supply the world's power needs from Oz, and we don't even do as much as a country in middle Europe!
That's a few things I expect to see once the Rudd government takes the reins.
Diana
Posted by Diana, Tuesday, 27 November 2007 9:59:30 PM
Hi All
These articles and posts continue to follow the one path, namely that we in Australia MUST do someting NOW! We can wear sackcloth and ashes if we like but it will not make one bit of difference until the world as a whole concedes that there is a problem and collectively does something about it. The thought that over a billion new consumers in both China and India are coming On-Line sometime in the near future, makes anything that we do in regards to climate change completely irrelevant. Maybe a better long term option would be to get future human population down to a more realistic level rather than suggesting that we cut down our current consumption practices. I am waiting for the first group of people who are giving up their cars, Mac Mansions and Plasma TV's in the name of climate change. I await with bated breath!
Regards
Brian2
Posted by Brian2, Wednesday, 28 November 2007 12:29:16 PM
Brian2,
You can unbate your breath now about "waiting for the first group of people who are giving up their cars, Mac Mansions and Plasma TV's in the name of climate change."
I have a car, but it has a tiny 1.5 litre engine to save petrol.
I don't have a Mac Mansion, never will.
I don't have a TV at all, never looked back.
The argument that "it will not make one bit of difference until the world as a whole concedes that there is a problem and collectively does something about it" nicely sums up the original intent of the Kyoto Protocol, but your argument is false I believe. Everything we do makes a difference. Even 15 years ago, the word "green" was a term of abuse, now even conservative politicans are trying their best to bolster their green credentials. Who would have imagined 10 years ago that John Howard would be forced to attempt to appear concerned about the environment? Next step, real concern, then action. It all makes a difference.
Posted by kevk, Saturday, 1 December 2007 8:39:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy