The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The downside of individualised social services > Comments

The downside of individualised social services : Comments

By Peter Gibilisco, published 30/10/2007

The dominant political ideology of individualism has brought about a marketised-style of reform to the disability sector.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This paper was prepared for a seminar at a disability conference. In its present form I think it highly unsuitable for a layperson, such as I. Too many multisyllabic adjectival phrases obscure the meaning for me. I am not sure I have cottoned on to the gist of the paper. Is it that some disability services and allowances are better and more efficiently organised on a centralised basis rather than expecting disabled individuals and their carers to organise these things themselves?

I am well aware, and I have oft succumbed, to the temptations of high faluting language to advertise my intellectual credentials, and so I do not speak from an attitude of superiority. So please, write this paper again in more straightforward language, so that I can respond intelligently.

Fencepost.
Fencepost.
Posted by Fencepost, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 5:33:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes I too agree that it takes a lot of study to understand the language of the text. However the writer says that himself. The cutoff of the $450 for continance aids when one reaches 65 was a disgrace and I have written to The Federal minister 10 years ago for a friend of mine and it's only recently that it has been reinstated.Do they send you $4500.00 TO REPLACE THE LOSS. PIGS! JUST LIKE A TAX LOSS.....NO REFUNDS FROM GOVERNMENTS!
Posted by TINMAN, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 8:21:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fencepost, I'm sure with your use of words you understood everything in the article, just didn't like what I had to say.
Posted by drpetergin, Wednesday, 31 October 2007 2:46:54 PM
Sorry Peter, I was honest in my response. I don't think I have any axe to grind. Was my mini summary of what you said correct, or did I miss your main points?

Fencepost.
Posted by Fencepost, Wednesday, 31 October 2007 6:36:47 PM
Fencepost, what I'm trying to point out is in disability services the rhetoric of individualised services may promote efficiency at the cost of effectiveness
Posted by drpetergin, Thursday, 1 November 2007 9:54:00 AM
Thank you Peter for that clarification. I am glad I asked because I had obviously got the opposite message in my attempt to understand. Sometimes it does require two-way communication to clarify things. I am sorry you perceived me as hostile to your cause because I am certainly not. I hope this clears things up between you and me.

Fencepost.
Posted by Fencepost, Friday, 2 November 2007 10:01:37 AM
Peter, three weeks after the previous post I am very disappointed that there has been a total of only 7 replies, of which I have contributed 3 or 4. I am disappointed because you obviously have important things to say. Please do some consulting about the best way to communicate your ideas clearly. All your good work seems to have gone down like a lead balloon. As I said before, and sincerely constructively, your points were difficult to comprehend, and I am still not absolutely convinced that I have understood clearly.
Posted by Fencepost, Friday, 23 November 2007 6:18:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy