The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hinglish, Chinglish and Spanglish - Australia’s future? > Comments

Hinglish, Chinglish and Spanglish - Australia’s future? : Comments

By Graham Cooke, published 25/10/2007

Australia's monolingual culture is at risk of being unable to compete in a globalised 21st century.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Being monolingual does not unfortunately refer to being able to communicate in only one language, which the monolingual English speaker retains to be sufficient. It means rather to have a tunnel visioned one sided view of the world, to view everyone's culture, way of doing and being from a single minded viewpoint, without the benefit provided by additional language learning of reflection of self and other. " Wad the Lord the gift but gie us tae see ourselves as others see us! "
Come on Australia, you may well be a very big Island but sooner or later in this shrinking world, you will surely need to understand more than Imperial English.
Posted by Polyglot45, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 6:52:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I studied two languages other than English in high school, one until Year 12. And, while I did extremely well in German, it hasn't enriched my life a great deal apart from on trips to Europe. Even there, it isn't much use outside of German-speaking countries because European nations seem to dislike each other more than they dislike arrogant English-speaking foreigners. I would be interested to know how many of the European students who learn two languages in school learn English - I'm guessing the figure would be huge. Surely that emphasises the value of English? It doesn't represent a failure of the rest of the world to keep up as much as it represents Europe's progress towards closing the gap in international commerce.

That said, on my last trip to France I learnt a valuable lesson. I tried to buy a set of nail clippers (try finding that one in a phrase book) and, until I attempted to ask in pitiful halting French, the lady behind the counter ignored me. The second I tried, she came to understand English and dodgy sign language quite well and helped me. Should I be annoyed at the 'arrogant' and 'unhelpful' French for this? Probably not. Instead, I should take away from this the lesson that, by putting a bit of effort into my cultural experience, and trying to communicate with the locals in their own language, I got a long way.

So there you have it. I haven't really argued either way here, just presented observations.
Posted by Otokonoko, Sunday, 25 November 2007 1:41:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Otokonoko, next time pretend you do not speak any English, or very poorly and see how helpful English speaking people are. Especially in London. Makes the French look positively falling over themselves with friendliness. I lived for 2 years in London and couldn't get over the shocking treatment non-English speaking people receive, though tourism is a big source of income.

English speakers generally refuse to even try to communicate in another language with a foreigner. At least the French shopgirl attempted communicating with you in English. Wouldn't have happened across the channel if the situation was reversed. English speakers are the most arrogant.

Learning a foreign language actually improves the command you have over your native language, whether you realize it or not.
Posted by yvonne, Monday, 26 November 2007 7:19:06 PM
You certainly have a point. And I was ashamed at my lack of foresight and, dare I say it, arrogance at going to France without a reasonable grasp of the language. But at least I tried. Of course, my efforts were pathetic compared to those of the backpackers I see every day around Townsville, who speak better English than many Australians.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 28 November 2007 11:14:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy