The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Integration is a two way street > Comments

Integration is a two way street : Comments

By Andrew Hewett, published 23/10/2007

It’s time to speak out for an Australian refugee policy which is non-discriminatory and based on the actual humanitarian needs of those resettlling in this country

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Now I see the problem. I DID stick to the topic, but you decided to stick to me......;and once you get obsessed YOU GET OBSESSED don't you 'Luddles'

My fifth post? Only my fifth Scary Ludwig?
I'm always interesting in what motivates people. This site allows easy access to research..

Remember this? :-

"Oi Ludwig, guess wot…

You have now put 100 posts on this thread…..you bloomin drongo!

You've been prattling away to yourself since 22 November 2005.

And no one’s listening!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahaaaa haaahahaaaaaaaaa"
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 11:45:47 PM

"Oow you’re a wicked so ‘n’ so Luddles

Laugh all you want, but I intend to keep prattling away to myself… er, um, I mean…putting my thoughts together on this thread…. where they can be accessed by the whole wide world! (:>]"
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 16 August 2006 11:50:09 PM

And THAT was just 100/101! (And the more polite of many..)

Out of 155 posts you posted 141 times....;to yourself!!..from 22 November 2005 to 12 July 2007!

And you are passing judgment on me?
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 27 October 2007 4:45:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I take it you had a nice afternoon checking out my post history on this forum Ginxypoo. So…um… what is your point of listing a whole bunch of quotes? Hmmmmm? (:>/

“Out of 155 posts you posted 141 times....;to yourself!!..from 22 November 2005 to 12 July 2007!”

Yep, whacky ol Ludwig has prattled away to himself for months on ‘Putting the brakes on the road toll’ ! http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2877.

That’s six posts in a row now that are completely off-topic…. and presumably there’ll be more, because you obviously completely don’t respect the forum rules. You are no position whatsoever to be critical of anyone else.

Fester

“But saddest of all is to see people not comparing the efficiency of bringing a minuscule fraction of the world's destitute within our borders with other forms of aid. I would rather see the money spent on research into biofuels and solar thermal power. These at least may offer us all a future.”

Money spent at the source of refugee issues is many times more efficiently utilised than money spent on setting refugees up in this country with our standard of living. So we’ve got to put most of our effort and expense into international aid efforts that address the causes and not the symptoms. But we have also got to be willing to accommodate a share of those who are in desperate need of relocation.

But I would argue that this only applies for as long as our own society is affluent and coherent and confident of a secure future. Unfortunately it is not, which may well justify pulling back on international aid expenditure and refugee intake and redirecting some or all expenditure into shoring up our own sustainable future.

Afterall, if our society falls apart, we won’t be in any position to contribute much at all to global efforts to stem the generation of refugees.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 27 October 2007 9:04:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Yep, whacky ol Ludwig has prattled away to himself for months on ‘Putting the brakes on the road toll’ ! http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2877.

That’s six posts in a row now that are completely off-topic…. and presumably there’ll be more, BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY COMPLETELY DON'T RESPECT THE FORUM RULES!!.....;

YOU (Ludo) are no position whatsoever to be critical of anyone else."

Pot? Kettle? Black?

I passed a comment on this thread. YOU misunderstood it. Since then YOU have gone off thread in an endeavour to convince me that you know better than I do what I said! EXCUSE ME!?

Don't you think that YOU should get back to the topic?

Stop wasting my time.
Posted by Ginx, Sunday, 28 October 2007 12:42:59 PM
Ludwig

"Afterall, if our society falls apart, we won’t be in any position to contribute much at all to global efforts to stem the generation of refugees."

True, though quite apart from the moral paucity of such a position, if we don't contribute to global efforts to stem the generation of refugees, we will most certainly work against our own self interest.

As climate change and resources scarcity ever increasingly add to refugee numbers, and Australia and other affluent countries put up the barriers and say 'we'll be right, you guys go hang', the resentment created will eventually fuel the terrorist threat to such an extent that we will be constant targets and yes, at the hands of suicide bombers with absolutely nothing left to lose, our society most definitely will fall apart.

We have to engage, we have no choice, from both an ethical and a self-interested standpoint.
Posted by Bronwyn, Sunday, 28 October 2007 3:05:07 PM
Andrew Hewett

While I absolutely agree that the government and broader community must work very hard to help refugees integrate, Australia's refugee policy is none of Oxfam's god damn business. Like every other country on earth, our elected representatives will make these decisios. The shift in emphasis away from Africa to Asia is right and proper. Australia SHOULD be more active in our region.

The shift in emphasis was made over twelve months ago by Amanda Vanstone in consultation with other members of the UNHCR.

I am tired of abominable NGO Luvvies thinking they have a right to lecture us. Either get your frock off and actually run for office, or keep your trap shut.
Posted by Doctor's Wife Luvvie, Sunday, 28 October 2007 4:46:26 PM
1. Only one person is wasting your time and that’s you Ginxyloo. I have zero control over what you do with your time.

2. You are asking me questions while at the same indicating that I should stop wasting your time by continuing with this dialogue. Bahrrrrilliant!

3. Seventh post in a row with absolutely no attempt made to address the topic of the thread!

4. Now, I presume you will not respond, if you really don’t want this discussion to ‘waste your time’ any further. So let this be the end of it.

Bronwyn, I understand exactly what you are saying. But it still comes down to priorities. If we desperately need to put maximised energy into our own social survival, then that is exactly where our energy should be put.

However if in doing that, we incurred the wrath of international elements and thus an increase in the threat to ourselves, then we would need to quickly rethink the balance.

Self-interest could well be seen as the best contribution that we could make to global quality of life. If we are able to quickly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and achieve sustainability without social upheaval, then we would be contributing well to global climate change / peak oil concerns and setting an excellent example, which would go a long way towards getting other overconsuming nations to follow suit.

But then as soon as it becomes apparent to the world that we have essentially dealt with these issues, the pressure will be right back on us to up our refugee intake and international aid effort.

It’s a hell of a balancing act.

I believe very strongly that we have to reduce immigration down to net zero over the next three or four years. Whether we then need to reduce our refugee intake remains to be seen, depending on what state the country is in by then.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 28 October 2007 5:30:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy